• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Another transmission and shedding question

First off I want to say thank you for all of you awesome and supportive folks out there, this place has been amazing for me and I only wish I would have found this sooner. Recently I watched the video interview with Dr. Leone (twice) and learned more in that hour than I have in the last year and a half!! And after seeing this video I wanted to know what kind of numbers I could provide to a future partner (and a past partner) so they could understand best they could and as accurately as possible, and for myself as well.

Now I don't know if IGG numbers provide anything but in my first post I was very emotional and muddled some of the facts for my situation. My first test the numbers were 1.66 for I and 3.48 for II ( IGG ) and that was in July 14. More recently my numbers were 1.0 for I and 6.2 for II just a couple weeks ago at the end of March. I have had 5 OBs that I can remember (I can almost give the dates for each, very stressful situations), with the first one in May of '09 and they have been quite mild and went undiagnosed until July 14. My outbreaks have all occurred in the same location which is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches above my member right at the belt line, my ex and I both thought my outbreaks were simply an ingrown hair or a gnarly pimple until I got proper test results, and I've never had a cold sore around the mouth. I am a very healthy person in general, rarely come down even with colds and feel like i have a really good awareness of where my body is with respect to health and how I treat my body. I don't use antivirals daily, but will pop like one a week (feels like a mental maintenance thing) or will use them if I feel even a little stressed. I have contact with my past partners, I have not passed this on, and I want to keep it that way.

So if I work off of stats, information and my own personal case, what kind of numbers can I relay? I have read here and in other sources that shedding could be less with an infection in the skin in the pubic area making transmission less likely. This would help when I have to say condoms don't entirely help in my case, and could nullify their effectiveness. If I work with the general stat that M to F transmission chances are 10%, is this simply what I have to use in discussions or do any of the other factors give me the chance to bring my numbers down? I want to be fair and accurate as possible, I appreciate any feedback and hope you all had a great weekend

These links are pretty comprehensive between them and the handouts are great if someone wants something easy to refer to 🙂

You numbers mean nothing as far as transfer risk. Once they are over the positive range, we pretty much don't use them for anything else.

Condoms reduce risk by 50% ... but that has a lot to do with where your OB is. From the sound of it, they wouldn't help you much given the location of your OB's.

Antivirals, taken DAILY, reduce risk by 50%.

And IMO, vigilance is every bit as important.... but that takes time to figure out what are your symptoms, and what are other things. Sounds like your OB's are pretty clear and over time you might notice other things that occur right before they come up. My policy is if in doubt, we find other ways to play. It actually makes for a great excuse to find other ways to get yer freak on! LOL

http://projectaccept.org/who-gets-hsv/

Handouts + disclosure e-book:

https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes facts video

@WCSDancer2010 Thank you for your response! It looks like I have to swallow the fact that condoms will not be of much protection, that's going to be a tough one to relay but it looks like I need to own it. In your opinion is it possible that the location of my OB's might actually help in avoiding transmission? It's my understanding that thicker skin areas shed less.

I have learned so much here since I've joined, it really is greatly appreciated. My experience with my primary care physician at DX was so dismissive that I actually contacted a previous care provider for support. The second opinion was warm and compassionate but also very casual, telling me it was rather simple, if I had an outbreak don't play but if I was clear it was "safe". So wild.

I've been pretty stressed about a recent situation so I've been taking antivirals to curb any potentials, looks like i'll just keep it going.

Thanks you again.

Yes - when not having an OB, odds are you will shed less.... if it's in the pubic hair area, maybe don't shave right before sex... that can set off an OB ... or even use a trimmer rather than a tight shave. There's some thought that H had increased in recent times because we tend to shave down there now and that Pubes had acted as a barrier in the past......

Also with the location, if you are not sure of your status, you can try to keep that area from rubbing against your partner... which can make for some potentially interesting new positions ;)