• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Disclose to Parents?

I am 23 years old and currently residing with my parents after a tough situation financially and emotionally. I have recently been seeing a guy and last Friday I disclosed to him my H+ status because I wanted him to know before things got too serious.

We ended up talking a bit about it and I feel it was a bit shocked and even admitted he was afraid of STDs but he also felt I should inform mt parents of me being H+ since I also told him they didn't know.

This is where I feel conflicted because he made some fair point on why my parents should know but I also just don't feel it is something critical for me to do since I am an adult and that kind of information is more on a personal level and doesn't directly affect my relationship with my family. I'd really appreciate any thoughts or opinions on whether I should tell them because I'm a bit conflicted and of course nervous so I hope maybe some experience can be shared with me.

I don't see any reason for you to disclose to your parents unless you actually want to do so and believe they could be a source of emotional support to you. Aside from that, I can't come up with one valid reason to tell them. Trust your instincts and don't listen to anyone giving advice when they're in a state of fear. {hugs from someone old enough to be your mother!} :-)

Hell no, don't tell your parents! Obviously everyone's parents are different, but just like Katidid says, you only need to tell those you plan to sleep with!! I made the terrible mistake of telling my mother (who is probably MUCH older than yours, and in the "old school" category) and she was judge, jury, and executioner. I was SHOCKED...but then again, I should have known better.

I told my mum and it was fine.. She only really cared about the HIV results. Deciding factor should be - if you need the support and help of your parents to get through it, you can risk telling them. Otherwise, there's really no need.