• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

hsv type 1 on genital transmission

Hi I have recently been diagnosed with genital hsv type 1. I am reading different things and some people say that there is a very little chance of transmission for herpes type 1 when it is on the genitals since it is suppose to be in the mouth is this true? does anyone who have genital hsv 1 have you transmitted it to your partner?

Terri Warren's book says that genital HSV1 tends to shed, on average, 1-2 days per month. Your body will shed the virus more often during the first year when it's still building up antibodies. From what I've read, there really are no hard numbers for statistical transmission risk for gHSV1, just that the risk of transmisssion for gHSV1 is "small." (The stats you read about a 4% transmission rate per year for female to male with no condoms or antivirals, etc. is referring to HSV2.). Since HSV1 is now responsible for about half of all new genital herpes infections, hopefully someone out there is doing some research to determine stats! By comparison, gHSV2 sheds, on average, about 6 days per month. So intuitively, you could do your own math from there.