• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

L-Lysine-- Does taking it actually help?

So I just joined here after finding out I'm HVS2+. After the first visit to urgent care I was doing some research online and read about L- Lysine being helpful for herpes and preventing it from spreading to other people. I just wanted to know if anyone else here is taking it as an added supplement along with their Valtrex? Or maybe when the outbreak isn't happening? Anyway if anyone has an opinion or thoughts on it I'd love to hear it. Especially because my girlfriend as far as we know doesn't have herpes. But we're both taking it as a preventative measure. Side note: we both went in and asked for them to test us for all STIs including herpes. So we should get results avout that in a couple days.

Thanks I appreciate it a bunch if you read all of that!

I've been trying it for about 6-8 months now and have not noticed a difference, so when I run out in a few days I won't buy more. Early studies done in a lab were promising, but later studies in humans did not show a benefit (I'm paraphrasing from Terri Warren's book). If it seems to help someone with outbreaks, it can't hurt to take it. However, lysine does not reduce transmission, so it has no protective benefit for your partner. Only antivirals and condoms do that.