• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Valtrex question

Hello,

Anyone who is familiar with valtrex, please provide me with some guidance. Is valtrex ok to take on a long term basis?

I took Valtrex for the 10 days when I had my first initial OB. After that I was put on valtrex when I was pregnant to prevent any OB's. I recently had my baby 2 weeks ago and haven't taken valtrex since before giving birth. But I do want to get back on it for the protection of my baby and other kiddos.

What do you all recommend.

Do you have genital HSV2? If so, there's no reason to be on it now that the baby has been born unless you're trying to prevent outbreaks or reduce transmission to an H- partner. You can't give your kids HSV2 without genital-to-genital contact, so you can rest easy because that risk is just not there.

If you have oral HSV1, you should not kiss your kids when you're having a cold sore. When you're not having a cold sore, a simple peck on the cheek is *extremely unlikely* to transmit oral HSV1.

I just saw your other post about having genital HSV1. (HSV1 prefers the mouth, but it's becoming much more common on the genitals as well. And even for those who have it orally, only about a third of those people ever experience a cold sore.)

If your outbreaks are not bothersome, there's no reason to take the Valtrex. As with genital HSV2, you're not going to transmit genital HSV1 to your kids under any circumstances other than genital contact.