• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I have genital Hsv1 can I get 2 genitally as well

I’ve had genital hsv1 for over 5 years and it’s caused minimal issues more annoying than anything! But I started a new relationship and he has HSV 2 Genital. I’m confused by the precaustions I need to take. We have already had sex protected and once unprotected and we were fully disclosed with each other. But I can’t seem to find answers. Can I get type 1 and 2 Genital and of so how severe is that? And what should I expect. 

If u have type 1 genital does that lesson the chance of type 2 genital. I’m very confused and there’s nothing on google that helps. I really like this guy but I’m scared of making my situation worse. 

Im also very confused on how it affects man. Do they have it on their penis when there’s an outbreak I just need to know what signs to look for and what I should expect for myself. 

• mr_hopp changed the title to I have genital Hsv1 can I get 2 genitally as well

HSV-1 does offer more protection from getting HSV-2, but it's not full protection, so you'll still want to be cautious (but not paranoid). 😄

Once your body has HSV antibodies, which helps to protect you from the other strain. 

And to your last question, your partner would get an outbreak where he was first exposed to herpes. Herpes prefers mucous membrane, so it tends to be around the mouth and genitals, but can also be found on fingers, butt, skin surface, but those situations are much more rare since tougher skin is harder to infect. 

Hope this helps! Hugs to you and your boyfriend! 🙂 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: