• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Looking for guidance

Recently I went into the doctors office for what I thought was just a routine screening. I knew to ask to be tested for hsv1/2 specifically or these test may not be performed. Just 2 years ago I tested negative for these (ironically just 3 months before I meet my boyfriend) and I am in a happy monogamous relationship. This year because I’ve always tested negative I didn’t think much about me being tested, I have always been fine. To my surprise I tested positive for hsv1. I spent my Monday in shock, Tuesday in confusion and the rest of the week in sadness. I had no idea how I would tell my boyfriend and cried at the thought of giving this to him. I knew I had to tell him, but I needed to get myself composed before I had the conversation. I talked to him about it and he reminded me that he gets cold sores. Then I remembered him talking about a sore on his lip before,  but it didn’t register that it was a cold sore or maybe I thought I would be fine as long as we don’t touch while he has a cold sore. We were wrong and I’m feeling pretty positive that I have gotten this from him. We shared paper work with each other and we are both hsv1 positive. I wanted to be upset with him, but I can’t because I know he was not trying to deceive me. I have not had an outbreak so I don’t even know for sure what area is affected. I’m unsure of what this means for our intimacy, we really do love each other and he is my best friend, I don’t want to feel like we can never kiss again. 

Does anyone have any insight on precautions we can take in our intimacy, especially considering I don’t know what area I am affected in? What can or can’t we do? 

Hi Dreamer07

If you both have it orally, as my doctor told me you won't get it genitally, of course I don't know that is 100% fact
but what I have read seems to say that it is incredibly rare to have HSV-1 both orally & genitally.

So I think you can carry on enjoying each other in the most intimate ways

Enjoy the journey & good luck

@Dreamer07

After reading a lot of stuff on here it does seem that some unfortunate people do seem to get it in both places
but what I have also read is that it is a fairly rare occurrence.

The fact that you both have it, means that your immune systems have built up some defence & in my humble opinion,
it is highly unlikely that you will affect each other in the opposite places.

If it is HSV-1 it is harder to pass genitally & an even lower chance from female to male, obviously refrain from contact when either of you have an OB.