• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV makes me a better person.

So if anyone were to read my first post ever on here I was full of rage, and sadness. totally lost. Something really surprising happened.  

After I pulled myself out of that I find that I am so much happier. I don't feel desperate for people approval anymore, I can set boundaries with people by saying no to things I don't want to do, I love my friends more, I reach out to people are hurting. I feel humbled by it and happier then i have in many years. I have no idea why this had such a positive change on me but for example tonight: I'm sitting at home wrapped up in a blanket and drinking hot tea loving my life alone in my apt with my dog sleeping next to me on the floor listening to classical music. 

It's like I found myself BECAUSE of herpes not despite it. I'm actually kind of grateful for it. I feel like I'm a better friend, a better nurse. I can let people in now, I had to let myself be vulnerable and realized I love having people close to me when I used to keep them at arms length.  I had to face myself and realized I had been hiding from pain from my past for most of my life, that it was time to let it go. That it's okay to let people see it, okay to let them help. I can see other people's pain now, and I want to help in return. 

It's been a really powerful journey for me. I haven't been happy with just myself in a long time: not because of a boyfriend or situation. I'm just happy to be here and healthy. To have the privilege to take care of my and other people's health.  

Never thought I'd see this day when I was breaking down in my kitchen or when I lay on my couch for days not eating. You guys can be happy.  HSV doesn't have to be the end of your joy. 

• Like 7

Congratulations, you have officially discovered your herpes opportunity. 🙂 Beautifully put. And I would offer that herpes didn’t make you a better person; it was simply the leverage that you needed to burn away those false beliefs that were blocking you from being your heartfelt, open self. Nice work. And I’m so glad to hear that you’re able to use this now-open heart to also help others. Spread the love. (More infectious than any virus!) 😉 

• Like 4

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I feel this too! I’ve only been a month into my diagnosis but finally after I’ve cleared up, taking my vitamins, getting sleep, making sure I don’t drink as much— I literally don’t let myself get upset or stressed out. It’s hsrd sometimes but there should other problems in the world and I have control over it! I make sure my relationships with my friends and family are strong now. Thanks for words— I feel the same way 🙂

• Like 2