• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Suppressive medicine

I’ve noticed since suppressive medicine 1g valacyclovir(valtrex) daily I now notice symptoms all the time. I stopped taking it about 10days ago and now I no longer notice symptoms the irritation n noticeable symptoms are better.

so my question is has anyone notice that they do better when not taking suppressive medication??!

i have HSV2 and HSV1 diagnosed in April but most likely had it for months and not have known. Found out during random. Blood test 

13 minutes ago, herpnerve said:

What kind of symptoms?

Once I started taking them I was having irritation all day, slight itching then once single bump( white filled) on the butt near the top crack-ish. It will appear and then stuff would come out then it will go away in about 2 days and it will heal but u can still see where it was so the skin didn’t heal. Then it would show back up like every 4 days. Then I ran out of the prescription and I kept forgetting to pick it up so about day 4/5 of not taking it I noticed less itchy feeling and the skin where the bump kept appearing the skin fully healed and it hasn’t come back. So I have the new prescription but I’m thinking about just not taking it and just see what my body does. I have been taking the valacyclovir since April 22. And been having those symptoms non stop. Since stopping I almost feel normal. So I’m like it’s it my body just getting use to it or does my body not like the suppressives... I nevee had any noticeable symptoms of hsv before the suppressive medication 

Did the doctor swab the bump to test for HSV-2? 

I would be very surprised if antivirals explicitly caused a herpes outbreak.It sounds like you may have had an allergic reaction to the medication you were taking. 

Also, if you have had no symptoms, 500 mg/day would be a more appropriate suppressive daily dose. 

If you decide to take antivirals again, perhaps try a lower dose or try famivir (a different antiviral). 

Also, if you try antivirals again and experience these symptoms again, try to see a doctor to have it evaluated and to determine if you are having an outbreak.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, tiredandlonely said:

Did the doctor swab the bump to test for HSV-2? 

I would be very surprised if antivirals explicitly caused a herpes outbreak.It sounds like you may have had an allergic reaction to the medication you were taking. 

Also, if you have had no symptoms, 500 mg/day would be a more appropriate suppressive daily dose. 

If you decide to take antivirals again, perhaps try a lower dose or try famivir (a different antiviral). 

Also, if you try antivirals again and experience these symptoms again, try to see a doctor to have it evaluated and to determine if you are having an outbreak.

I was thinking the same thing. The first bump yes it was hev2. I think the suppressive are too strong for me. Around my period it was worse the last two  periods. Now this is almost a full month now without taking the suprressives and my period ended two days ago and still no outbreak or irritation