• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Suppression Therapy

I'm a 63 yr old female...found out I have Genital Herpes from a blood test....have NEVER had an outbreak...had no idea I had it. I had to have had it for decades... II have a partner that does not have herpes and I wanted to go on Suppression Therapy. My PCP says that she can only prescribe acyclovir 400mg. twice a day for 10 days, but will not put me on it any longer. Since I do not have outbreaks. I probably have internal shedding. Being on a daily dose will keep this under control.....PCP also said Acyclovir was too dangerous to take all the time! HELP !!! Thanks...

Hi @Faith2019 and welcome! Daily suppressive therapy is common and helps cut down asymptomatic viral shedding by around 50%, so your doctor is unfortunately misinformed. (I'm on twice-a-day Acyclovir to help keep my wife herpes-free.) If doc still insists on not giving you a prescription, then find another doc who will. Sorry you're having to fight for this when it should be a regular run-of-the-mill thing! 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Hi Mr.Hopp....

Since you are doing the suppression therapy...I would like to get your feedback on whether or not you use protection when having sex ...I know it is recommended. Yes, a bold question indeed...but I guess that is why this site is geared towards helping one live with  this virus. Thanks so much!

Hi @Faith2019 — Yep, happy to share. My wife was fine with taking the risk and not wearing condoms (which is how we magically got this little toddler!) 😉 I take daily suppressive therapy to cut the viral shedding by ~50%. Ultimately, it's a subjective decision that partners make together in weighing the pros/cons, risks/rewards and costs/benefits. Every couple is different with what they are willing to take on. And the first line of defense with keeping your partners safe is open and honest communication (followed closely by medication and barrier protection). Does that help?

• Like 1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Oh, I've been taking medication (twice daily acyclovir) on and off for about a decade. I wouldn't take suppressive therapy unless I was in a relationship where I was keeping my partner safe. When I was single and not having sex, I wouldn't take medication at all and just deal with outbreaks as they came (1-2x per year). 

Helpful resources:

My pleasure! Here’s an article I wrote about the 2 reasons to get on suppressive medication: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/post/herpes-medication

Happy freedom day to you too! 

Helpful resources:

@Esmerelda — I would give it a week to make sure the suppressive therapy had a chance to work its way through my system. And when we had our call with Terri Warren (if I remember correctly, it was in that call), she suggested the same. 

Here's a post on herpes treatment that includes a piece on Lysine: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/post/herpes-treatment

In short, Lysine hasn't ever done much for me personally, but there are plenty of people who swear by it. Tons of anecdotal evidence out there to suggest that it does have an effect, but not much science to prove or disprove it. Have you tried upping the Lysine and lowering the Arginine in your diet? Have you seen any effect? 

Helpful resources:

Thanks for the response. I will read the article. I have read on some sites about diet and decreasing Arginine...less popcorn for example? The diagnosis is new and so only learning and trying everything possible to decrease that it returns. Seems like no downside to trying the lysine. 

I appreciate all the positive information on this site. There is so much ignorance on the subject and the social stigma is so real that it makes it difficult to stay positive. This site helps.

• Like 1