• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Acyclovir Side Effects?

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar situation to mine. I've been on Acyclovir since my initial OB back in February and my whole body has been off ever since. I credited a lot of it to the fact that I sank into a really deep depression but I'm doing much better mentally now and my body still feels broken. 

For one thing I've gained a significant amount of weight. I am an avid gym rat and I don't eat that much so 20-25 in a short amount of time is a problem. There was about a 2 month period where I had no motivation to work out and constantly stuffed my face but now I'm putting forth real effort and the scale is moving in the wrong direction.

I've also gone back into treatment for BPD and PTSD. I've been on and off psych meds my entire life but this time it seems like they are making my panic attacks and insomnia worse. I can't find any literature saying whether acyclovir reacts with my medication and my psychiatrist didn't seem to think it was a big deal.

I've also since gotten into a new relationship. I disclosed in the very beginning and told him I was on medication and he did not seem bothered at all. We were also drinking at the time so I'm not sure how to bring up the topic of "maybe I should stop taking my medication." I feel like that's partly his decision too since it could potentially affect him.

For the vast majority of people, Acyclovir has very little side effects. It's generally well-tolerated. Have you tried other medications, such as famciclovir or valacyclovir (Valtrex) as a test? Here's an article on medication: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/post/herpes-medication

And yes, going off daily suppressive medication would put him at twice the risk (4% chance per year if not using condoms, 2% if using condoms), so it should be something you two discuss together as a couple. The handouts here will help understand the overall risks: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

A quick Google search showed multiple case studies where acyclovir was linked to kidney failure. As I've had preeclampsia twice, I am inclined to believe it's been a culprit to me retaining water weight. But it's all moot because I stopped taking it for nearly a week (and immediately dropped 6 lbs) and yesterday a blister came up 😩. I haven't tried any other medications but I guess I will have to talk to my doctor.

Hi @Tk2019,

Can you share the links here that you found? Are you talking about oral acyclovir or injectable? I've heard of one-off cases of kidney failure and also seen how injectable acyclovir has been linked to it too, but would like to see full studies linked to oral acyclovir if those are out there.

And yes, there are other medications that might work for you, including Valacyclovir (Valtrex) or Famcyclovir. 

How long have you had herpes? For the majority of people, after 6 months to a year, your body has developed enough antibodies to keep the virus more at bay. 

Here's an article on herpes medication for more:
https://www.herpesopportunity.com/post/herpes-medication

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: