• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How long for unprotected sex?

Unless you are trying to procreate, it is generally not advised to have unprotected sex unless your partner is full aware and accepts that there is still a risk to get HSV, even if you are on suppressive therapy.

If your partner is aware of that risk and is willing to take it, then have at it.

In my case, my partner is aware of the risks of transmission, and I am not on suppressive therapy. I also do not get outbreaks...and he is okay with the potential risk and is willing to take it, so we have unprotected sex (I cannot get pregnant so no worries there). I have also been positive for at least 11 years (but only found out last year). We have been together for about 7 months and he has not gotten HSV from me. We have had unprotected sex for almost the entire time.

@100918 my partner is full aware. She’s actually my best friend. I acquired GHSV1 in May & have been medication since & Suppressive for a month now. I’ll just lose it if  ever transmit it to her.

Which is why I asked about success stories on how long until you had unprotected sex with your partner taking (Suppressive Therapy of course) without transmitting?

21 hours ago, hazeleyes44 said:

@100918 what do you think is the reason you don’t get outbreaks? If you don’t have outbreaks and have never transmitted it, how do you know your test wasn’t a false positive? 

To be honest, I do sometimes wonder if my test wasn't a false positive, but the number came back at >8, so the chances of that being a false positive seem pretty low. I do plan to get the Western Blot to confirm one way or the other, though.

I have no idea why I have never had an outbreak...or if I had in the past, I didn't know that's what it was. But since getting the results of my blood test almost a year ago, I have been hyper-aware of everything, and I have had no outbreaks. 

I did call up to UW to ask them about the possibility of a false positive when I was first diagnosed, and the lady on the phone said that it was possible given that I had been somewhat recently exposed to chicken pox (also part of the Herpes family). 

I have not yet gotten the Western Blot test, so to be safe I did disclose to my boyfriend that I had a positive test. It was terrifying because I didn't know how he would react or if I would lose him, but he is amazing and told me that it was nothing to him...and he has held true to that. He is not concerned about it and knows that there is a risk (assuming my test was accurate) and he is willing to take it to be with me.

This is also the only person I've been with in almost 11 years. I was completely celibate for 10 years (which is how I know that I had to have gotten it at least 11 years ago), so there was no chance to pass it along to anyone else 😉