• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How much antivirals should I be taking with an outbreak?

Hi all,  

I’ve been taking 1g of valacyclovir a day since January but there are times where I feel like I’m about to get an outbreak. How should I be taking the medication during those times? I read 500mg 2x a day for 3 days...but will my doctor prescribe that to keep on hand for when that occurs? Can I cut the pills in half and take them like that? Is anyone on 1g of valacyclovir a day and still feeling like they’re on the verge of an outbreak? This has consumed my life in the past 2 years after being 8yrs outbreak free...

@Lvsandy Hi, yes I am on daily suppressive medication as I’m doing whatever I can to keep my husband safe (he does not have this) and we also use condoms occasionally. I’ve been on suppressive therapy for 9years but in the last year I switched from acyclovir 400mg 2x a day to valacyclovir 1g a day as the acyclovir was not working well anymore. The valacyclovir as helped but I still feel irritation each month normally during ovulation. I don't get a typical outbreak with a sore anymore, which it was better when I did. Now if I do it is AWFUL, worse than my first, so much internal pain and irritation. When I start to feel “off” I cut the 1g in half at night so I take an extra 500mg and am usually ok in a few days. But for some reason the medication is not suppressing the virus like it used to. I also take 2,000mg of Lysine daily, elderberry, zinc, vitamin c, cats claw and olive leaf which is also supposed to help. After almost 10yrs with the disease I thought I would have built up antibodies to keep this in check. What a crock of shit the medical journals are. My doctors wont even test me to see if its hsv 1 or 2 because they're “both the same” so all I know is that it comes out genitally. So frustrating. I see my doctor November 4th and I’m going to see if he’ll change the dose to 500mg 2x a day so it’s always in my system. That’s what they give to people with HIV or compromised immune systems. I do have asthma and am sick a lot but idk why things have been so bad with this. Definitely get on suppressive medication. May help you.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ash128083 said:

@Lvsandy Hi, yes I am on daily suppressive medication as I’m doing whatever I can to keep my husband safe (he does not have this) and we also use condoms occasionally. I’ve been on suppressive therapy for 9years but in the last year I switched from acyclovir 400mg 2x a day to valacyclovir 1g a day as the acyclovir was not working well anymore. The valacyclovir as helped but I still feel irritation each month normally during ovulation. I don't get a typical outbreak with a sore anymore, which it was better when I did. Now if I do it is AWFUL, worse than my first, so much internal pain and irritation. When I start to feel “off” I cut the 1g in half at night so I take an extra 500mg and am usually ok in a few days. But for some reason the medication is not suppressing the virus like it used to. I also take 2,000mg of Lysine daily, elderberry, zinc, vitamin c, cats claw and olive leaf which is also supposed to help. After almost 10yrs with the disease I thought I would have built up antibodies to keep this in check. What a crock of shit the medical journals are. My doctors wont even test me to see if its hsv 1 or 2 because they're “both the same” so all I know is that it comes out genitally. So frustrating. I see my doctor November 4th and I’m going to see if he’ll change the dose to 500mg 2x a day so it’s always in my system. That’s what they give to people with HIV or compromised immune systems. I do have asthma and am sick a lot but idk why things have been so bad with this. Definitely get on suppressive medication. May help you.

@ash128083 Why would the doctor not want to test you? So it can be typed , actually, it's not really his decision as you're the patient, I would demand for a blood test to determine type, just for your own knowledge and peace of mind. It really makes a difference, since type one sheds a lot less. What if you wanted to let your partner know which type it was, even though I know you're married ...don't let them tell you how to manage your health ask for a 10 panel std lab test that will include hsv This is your health not the doctors. U can also do I test via online not through your physician. 

I'm taking 1g daily, I do break it in half 500 in the morning and 500 in the evening, I still get a little bit of prodome but no active outbreak, sometimes like a crawling sensation.