• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

OB every month??

So for my back story.. I got my first OB in January of this year. It was the worst pain in my life as I’m sure you all can relate. It was brutal. I originally went to an instacare place and they gave me meds for my first OB and told me to follow up later with my gynecologist. I didn’t have insurance so I never went and maybe that’s my problem. Every month since then I’ve had (what I think) is an outbreak. It seems to go along with my menstrual cycle. I get it the same point of time during my cycle every month. I always get it a week before my period. It’s nothing like the first OB, but it’s definitely very uncomfortable and I can’t have sex with my husband for like 2 weeks every month. Has anyone had anything similar? And is it normal that I get an OB every month? 

Hello! 👋 This is actually quite normal for women to get outbreaks that coincide with their periods. Especially in the first year of contracting herpes. On average, after a year, most folks will build up enough antibodies to naturally suppress the virus even during these physically stressful times.

It can be quite frustrating to want to be intimate with your partner only to have an outbreak pop up, but do your best to be playful (and even flirtatious) about it — use it as a time to flex those intimacy muscles in new ways! Actually, here’s a video I made about this very thing: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/post/keeping-your-partner-herpes-free-can-be-super-sexy

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

• 1 month later...

@Lacey Hi. I’ve had the virus for 11 years now. In the beginning I would get a typical outbreak, a sore somewhere on my labia that would eventually scab over and heal, every 2 months. I wanted a better quality of life so I started suppressive therapy. For 8 years on alcyclovir 400mg 2x a day I had zero symptoms then all of a sudden 2 years ago I started getting horrible outbreaks like I never had before. I switched to valacyclovir 1g a day and it has helped, however, every month when I ovulate I start having horrible symptoms, burning, irritation, redness of the vagina. I take an extra 500mg of the meds during that time and nothing ever breaks through the skin but I’m so uncomfortable. I’m seeing my doctor Monday to check for a hormone imbalance. I have no idea what is going on. This virus is supposed to get better over time and for me its gotten so much worse. I also take 2-3000mg of Lysine a day and vitamins, eat well and exercise and get enough sleep. Makes no sense. I’m so scared to be intimate with my husband because I feel like a walking contagion and he is negative. Is your husband negative? Do you have typical outbreaks? Feel free to private message me if you want 🙂