• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Anyone from the UK? Dealing with NHS

Hey! I suspect most people here are from USA but im from London and what i’ve found is the doctors and clinic won’t even give us meds unless you have severe outbreaks. Surely this would mean that rates in the UK would be so high? I just can’t understand it, the nurse even said to me i don’t need to disclose to partners.

has anyone else from the UK experienced this? Is this the right approach to take? How cN we prevent passing this on without meds?!

Hello I am also from London. I found them very blase about everything too. I also got told it's not necessary to disclose. I have managed to get some tablets..I told the clinic that I was having outbreaks just to get hold of a pack to keep on hand. I then managed to get some through the doctor on a monthly prescription. I'm in a LDR so I take them whenever I see my partner and if I'm poorly I take them to stop anything happening. Keep trying! You just have to be pushy because they really dont seem to care that much or have much idea of what a diagnosis does to people!  I'm sure it must be such a common virus here as there it absolutely no way of knowing you have it unless you're one of us unlucky few like us who ever had a symptom!

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the middle east and I was also told by a Dr not to disclose.  Also by a Dr that I saw in India.

If you travel there are some countries where it is easy to stock up on meds with a Dr, such as Greece.

I have a friend who is a flight attendant and they get me meds whenever they go there.

I think the Dr are persuaded by drug companies to discourage people from disclosing so that they get more customers.  It's discussing.  For the same reason, I think that they will never look for a cure.

• 2 months later...

Hi! This is very interesting to read, as I have been looking to relocate to the UK, but have HSV-2 and am worried about getting antivirals. It's a bit daunting to read that they seem to be hard to come by! I did some snooping the other day and also came across sites to by it online.  It's also interesting to hear the info your nurses gave you; do you think the stigma in the UK is lesser than that in the U.S. from what you've seen? I'm genuinely curious, as I'm in a long distance relationship with a Brit and dreading telling him!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 2:47 AM, akirn said:

Hi! This is very interesting to read, as I have been looking to relocate to the UK, but have HSV-2 and am worried about getting antivirals. It's a bit daunting to read that they seem to be hard to come by! I did some snooping the other day and also came across sites to by it online.  It's also interesting to hear the info your nurses gave you; do you think the stigma in the UK is lesser than that in the U.S. from what you've seen? I'm genuinely curious, as I'm in a long distance relationship with a Brit and dreading telling him!

Hi, akirn. 
it’s just a case of finding a good doctor with reasonable knowledge of HSV in the U.K. I think. They do exist, you just have to find one. 

honestly, judging by social media, I think the stigma is the same here as the U.S. but then I’ve not been brave enough to disclose to anyone to give you my personal experience. But I hope it goes well for you in your relationship. Be strong. x