• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Can I have herpes and have tested negative twice?

Hello Everybody.

3 months after the first outbreak I got tested for HSV 1 and 2. Both IGG and IGM tested negative. Still having symptoms compatible to genital herpes another doctor decides to test me again, I went to a different lab, and still both 1 and 2 and IGG and IGM tested negative  under 0,20.

I don't know what to do cause I keep having the thingling feeling kind of every month, but not the blisters I had in the first time. Just some redness. I don't know what to do. Do you think it is herpes or something else? It has been already 2 years since I have the 1st reaction.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Hi Xiscocaioss,

Yes you can.
My partner went through a terrible time after we had first been together and then covid restictions kept us apart.
She had all the symptoms for hsv2 except the blisters. It turned out to be a combination of menopause symptoms and anxiety and she does not have hsv2.

However you say you had an initial outbreak with blisters? I'm guessing you never had the chance to get these swabbed? 2 hsv negative tests does seem to indicate you are clear and possibly the blisters were something else. If you want more peace of mind you could order a Western Blot test if it is available to you.

Good luck.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DeMar said:

Thank you very much for your answer DeMar.

I don't know where I can get that one from here in Spain. I didn't get the swab, cause the doctor said it was clearly herpes, although that same doctor said before it was a mollusco contagiosum. I have been in several dermatologists and each of them have a diferent opinion. I tested negative twice, and that gives me hope I have something else, but on the other hand symtomps seems clear to me  that is herpes. But also when you read stuff you feel more like you have everything you have read.

Last dermatologist I visited told me to not worry about it and have a normal life. But it is impossible to me of been with a girl and not been all the time thinking I am going to give her herpes. I have had sex since them a few times and I didn't gave them herpes, so that keeps me calm, but at the same time I keep having weird symptomps, although never the blisters...

It is driving me crazy and I am scared to go to another doctor cause I don't trust them anymore.

Thanks again for your support and help!

• Like 2
18 hours ago, xiscocaioss said:

Hello Everybody.

3 months after the first outbreak I got tested for HSV 1 and 2. Both IGG and IGM tested negative. Still having symptoms compatible to genital herpes another doctor decides to test me again, I went to a different lab, and still both 1 and 2 and IGG and IGM tested negative  under 0,20.

I don't know what to do cause I keep having the thingling feeling kind of every month, but not the blisters I had in the first time. Just some redness. I don't know what to do. Do you think it is herpes or something else? It has been already 2 years since I have the 1st reaction.

Thank you!

Yes, you can have negative test even though you have herpes. I am in the same position. Still testing negative after almost 20 years being infected but I had two positive swabs.

Standard antibody tests miss 25 percent of HSV 1 infections and 8 percent of HSV 2 infection.

My advice to you is to take western blot test if you can afford. Western blot test is much more reliable than standard tests. 

Thank you Bloomer.

Is it is 8% that means that out of trying 100 times 8 will not detect the virus. So it is weird that getting tested 3 or 4 times still shows negative, isn't it?

I have read that the Western Blot it is only in Washington University... I don't live in the States... 😞

Are your symptoms  and OB getting any better after 20 years?

Thank you for your help!

Some people just don't test negative. Maybe it's due to strain because for example some HSV 2 strains are gd2 deficient and you will never produce antibodies. 

I don't know where you live but you can ask your doctor where in your country you can have western blot test. In my country this test is available only in capital city.

It would be the best if you could have swab next time when you have your version of OB. Swabs are more accurate then blood tests.

Unfortunately my symptoms are not better even though I have this virus for so long. I had lot of neurological symptoms and complications but that's just me. Most people get better over time and OB's become much less frequent. 

It is important for you to get correct diagnosis in order to act accordingly. Maybe you don't have HSV after all. But if you have reason to doubt you have herpes, then wait to have swab or try to obtain western blot test. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Bloomer said:

Some people just don't test negative. Maybe it's due to strain because for example some HSV 2 strains are gd2 deficient and you will never produce antibodies. 

I don't know where you live but you can ask your doctor where in your country you can have western blot test. In my country this test is available only in capital city.

It would be the best if you could have swab next time when you have your version of OB. Swabs are more accurate then blood tests.

Unfortunately my symptoms are not better even though I have this virus for so long. I had lot of neurological symptoms and complications but that's just me. Most people get better over time and OB's become much less frequent. 

It is important for you to get correct diagnosis in order to act accordingly. Maybe you don't have HSV after all. But if you have reason to doubt you have herpes, then wait to have swab or try to obtain western blot test. 

I am so sorry to hear that. I am going to try to get the swab, although I don't know from were are they going to take it from, as I only have a kind of redness. Not any blisters with any kind of liquid to swab.

What you said about antibodies, is that  the reason why also the symptoms never goes away? Like your body doesn't produce antibodies and you keep having more and more outbreaks, and also that is how you can spread the virus to yourself in other areas, even though in theory it should not happen?

Sorry for bodering you with so many questions, just trying to understand what I can do, what should I do and what precautions should I take.

Thanks again and all the best to you!

• Like 1

As for antibodies and influence on symptoms I really don't have an answer. I asked doctor about that and he told me that antibodies are not only factor when it comes to providing immune protection and response to viruses. 

What are your symptoms exactly if I may ask? What made you think you have HSV outbreak? 

10 hours ago, xiscocaioss said:

Hi! 

Mulloscum contagiosum looks literally just like the early stages of herpes sores, so it is possible you had that! When I had my first outbreak, I thought it was molloscum, but my swab came back positive for GHSV-1.

It is so odd that the doctors did not take a skin sample or swab of the area. 

You mentioned that you have a tingling feeling each month and a rash of sorts; do you notice a pattern, like does it happen the same time each month or does it occur after you do the same activity (for example, biking). Or, do you notice it after eating certain things? Also, have you ever had a yeast infection or a fungal infection or jock itch down there? Sometimes those can cause tingling, itching, and discomfort. 

Did the dermatologist have any explanation as to what the rash could be? Or did they just say "you're fine" and send you on your way? 

I am sending you prayers of happiness and healing! 🙂 

grace

Hello

On 5/31/2022 at 10:45 PM, Flowerteacher55 said:

Hi! 

Mulloscum contagiosum looks literally just like the early stages of herpes sores, so it is possible you had that! When I had my first outbreak, I thought it was molloscum, but my swab came back positive for GHSV-1.

It is so odd that the doctors did not take a skin sample or swab of the area. 

You mentioned that you have a tingling feeling each month and a rash of sorts; do you notice a pattern, like does it happen the same time each month or does it occur after you do the same activity (for example, biking). Or, do you notice it after eating certain things? Also, have you ever had a yeast infection or a fungal infection or jock itch down there? Sometimes those can cause tingling, itching, and discomfort. 

Did the dermatologist have any explanation as to what the rash could be? Or did they just say "you're fine" and send you on your way? 

I am sending you prayers of happiness and healing! 🙂 

grace

Hello!!! Thank you for being such a nice human being!

That is the problem, that I can't tell any patern or anything... For months I wasn't feeling anything, for the last 3 months it has been every single month. Right now I have had it for 3 weeks, and I have like rash that feels and looks like mosquito bites all around my body... Nothing in the intial area of the first OB which was the pubis, but mainly on my legs, gluteos, waist, belly arms, wrist, I think even on my fingers... Feels like single mosquito bites. It is fading little by little but still new bites apearing some random places, most of places only one, some places a few spreaded. I went to the general doctor and he said it was a foliculitis and told me to get antihistamines.

Never had any of those you mention didn't even know about it... My first OB was 2 years ago, and still don't know exactly what it is either follows any patern as far as I am aware...

Thank you very much for your help and support!

Have a beautiful day

• Like 1

Hi! 

Aww, you are also a nice human being! ❤️ 

That is interesting. 

Folliculitis is something that can cause great symptoms and pain, and it has been mentioned by others on this site before! 

I hope you figure everything out!

Sending prayers and blessings of happiness and wellness your way! 🌻☀️🌈

grace