• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes outbreaks after years of quiet - questions

Hello,

I've had herpes (I have both types - yay!) for 12 years now. I rarely get outbreaks, and have not ever really taken valacyclovir as a suppressant. This last few months I've had a series of outbreaks one after another that is unusual for me. I've also had very sharp pain in my genitals that doesn't seem to go away over several weeks. I've started taking valacyclovir daily (1000mg) but it hasn't seem to make much of a difference. I have a few questions:

1. Is there a possibility that I could have got another strain of herpes that is stronger?
2. I've read that some people have resistance to valacyclovir and it doesn't work - could that be the case?
3. Is it possible that by starting to take valacyclovir daily has made the virus 'wake-up' and cause more outbreaks?
4. Has anyone else gone years without an outbreak and then had a few in a row?

It's been very frustrating for me as I've been able to live quite happily but this is making me feel very down about myself as I was when I first got my diagnosis.

Thank you for any feedback.

Hey there,

I can totally understand how frustrating and disheartening it can be when those pesky herpes outbreaks start popping up out of the blue after years of relative calm. And you're not alone in experiencing this. I myself hadn't had any outbreaks for years and just recently had an outbreak. (And I'm also a member of the herpes 1&2 club! Prestigious.) 😎

Now, let's tackle each of your questions:

1. Is there a possibility that I could have acquired another strain of herpes that is stronger?
Well, the chances of acquiring a stronger strain of herpes are quite low. Once you have both HSV-1 and HSV-2, your body develops antibodies that provide some level of protection against re-infection with the same type. However, it's important to note that outbreaks can vary in severity due to various factors such as stress, immune system fluctuations, and other individual factors. To get a clearer understanding of what's going on, it's best to consult with a healthcare professional who can evaluate your symptoms and shed light on the recent increase in outbreaks. This is a peer-to-peer forum, so don't take any of this as official medical advice.

2. I've read that some people have resistance to valacyclovir and it doesn't work - could that be the case?
While it's possible for a small number of individuals to have a reduced response to antiviral medications like valacyclovir, it's actually quite uncommon. Valacyclovir (or Acyclovir, which is what I take) is generally an effective treatment for managing herpes outbreaks and reducing viral shedding. However, if you feel that the medication isn't providing the relief you expected, have a chat with your healthcare provider. They can assess your specific situation, evaluate your treatment plan, and make any necessary adjustments to address your symptoms.

3. Is it possible that starting to take valacyclovir daily has made the virus 'wake up' and cause more outbreaks?
Starting suppressive therapy with valacyclovir is usually intended to reduce the frequency and severity of outbreaks, so it's not very common for the medication to trigger an increase in outbreaks. However, everybody's response can vary. It's important to remember that the first few months of suppressive therapy may involve an adjustment period as your body adapts to the medication. If you continue to experience persistent outbreaks or new symptoms, it's definitely a good idea to consult with your healthcare provider for further evaluation and guidance.

4. Has anyone else gone years without an outbreak and then had a few in a row?
Absolutely! It's actually quite common for individuals with herpes to experience periods of remission or very few outbreaks for a long stretch of time, only to be followed by a sudden cluster of outbreaks. Outbreak frequency can be influenced by various factors, including stress, hormonal changes, weakened immune function, and overall health. Sharing experiences and insights with others who have faced similar situations can be really helpful, so kudos for reaching out and sharing what's going on for you and asking these questions.

Stay strong, keep reaching out, and remember that you have the power to rise above any challenges that come your way. We're here to support you every step of the journey.

Take care!

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

• mr_hopp changed the title to Herpes outbreaks after years of quiet - questions

Thanks for the feedback. Right now I've had pain in the genitals daily and almost non-stop for a couple of weeks. Wondering if it could also be balanitis on top of herpes but it won't go away. I think I should see a doctor - my most recent visit they were not very helpful at all, so I'm looking to find another provider. Previously for me I've had some 'prodrome' sensations but nothing like this.