• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Dating again with HSV2

I was diagnosed a year ago with hsv2 and  have worked my way out of the stigma enough to try and start dating again.  I’ve been lucky enough to meet someone wonderful who while he has some pause after my disclosure, not enough to have run the other direction and has been very understanding. I’ve  had very minimal outbreaks since I was diagnosed, I live a very healthy lifestyle and am taking valcyclovir on a daily basis as suppressive.  We are taking all precautions yet I am still so scared of passing it onto him and the fallout of that should happen. 

• Like 1

Hey @Pbhope! It's great that you've found someone understanding, and your use of valacyclovir and a healthy lifestyle are key in managing HSV-2 and reducing transmission risk. It's totally normal for a caring and empathic person to be concerned about passing it on, but remember:

• Daily suppressive therapy, along with condom use, significantly lowers transmission risk. (Check out the handouts that come with the free e-book for more details on that!)
  • Being aware of your prodrome symptoms and avoiding intimate contact during these times helps.
  • Keep being vulnerable, accessible and confident in talking with your partner about herpes. It builds trust and helps you both manage the situation better.
  • Stay on top of your health by exercising, eating well, thinking well, and regular checkups with your doc.

You're doing the right things. This approach minimizes the risk and shows care for your partner's wellbeing. Keep it up and congratulations!

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

• 4 weeks later...

I've disclosed for 41 years. Lost my husband close to 4 years ago whom I also disclosed to many years ago (over 30). Once I disclose, I feel I've done my part. I do, obviously, do my part to keep them safe, however, if anyone was to aquire it, I'd feel 100% that I did all the right things and everything I could to avoid passing it on and would not beat myself up over them acquiring it. 

• Like 1