• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Could I have had HSV2 all along?

Hi all,

Since being diagnosed a few months ago (was never tested before) I have been learning a lot about prodome symptoms. I have to say that for probably 10 years or more I have experienced, off and on, some of the symptoms mentioned but never thought much of it. At every yearly exam I was cleared of everything (except H of course since I wasn't tested). I've had the occasional vaginal discharge (my doctor said that was normal and never gave me meds for it), the occasional tingling/ sharp pain in my bikini area, swollen nodes down there and I believe I even recall having one bump that cleared up within 3/4 days and was a little irritating and sore.

To me, I am thinking now that I've actually had H2 a long time but never actually had a full on outbreak or maybe I was having them and they were just really mild.

Is this possible? What do you think?

-Thanks in advance for the advice & insight!

Yes it is possible ! people can have it years and not know ! I am pretty certain when I contracted mine, but can I be 100% ? no! but if I thought about it too much it could really mess with my head and open a whole can of worms that I'd rather not ! the thing is I know I have it now so the best thing I can do for my self and others is manage it by looking after my self and educate my self and future partners ! We cannot change what already is regardless of when or how long we had it. I'd say don't spend too much energy thinking about it, because you will never know for sure and in stressing out about it you could bring on a break out X

Yup - sounds like you've had it awhile - up to 80% of people who have Herpes don't know it because they experience it like you did - mild or no symptoms that they shrug off as ingrown hairs, heat rash, or whatever. And thanks to the CDC recommending that we not be tested without symptoms, most people are just happily going along thinking they were tested and that they are H-...and possibly spreading it unwittingly.

I keep saying ... Herpes is a slippery little bugger. The more I research the more I realize that even the "experts" can't come up with any agreement about testing and such.... and many doctors are CLUELESS about it. :(