• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Merry Christmas & a Herpe New Year!

Well, what a year, huh? We've been through heck. Our pee pees and vajajays have looked like hell (some do right now), but we're alive. We still have air in our lungs, dreams in our eyes, and hope in our hearts. Most importantly, we've found each other. We've found a group where we're not outcasts, where we're not pariahs, where we're not looked-down upon. Funny how diseases tend to level the playing field, isn't it?

I'm a Christian and I can't help but think about Jesus tonight, but I won't preach. Honestly, I can't recite more than a couple of passages anyway and the last time I was in church a thunderstorm broke out. Talk about a guy who had it rough, though. Son of diety (or not if you're an athiest) the man walked through life facing challenges and tribulations before he got nailed. Then you read about Job. Man, that guy had it rough with those boils and sores. And, the list goes on and on and on. If you look at their stories, no matter what they faced they pressed forward even in the face of adversity. That's what courageous people do, and if I have to walk among man for 80 or 90 years, well, I want to walk among courageous people.

It's the same principle in other things; if you want to be the best, you hang out with the best and follow their example. Those thoughts are some of what are shaping my outlook on this whole fiasco that is my diagnosis. It's helping, and I wane, and tears flow with the emotions, and the sense of loss creeps in at times, but I always snap back to "Let's roll!" pretty quickly.

Ultimately, we're dealing with a skin infection. A really annoying skin infection. Ok, a really, really, really annoying skin infection. People make fun of us. Let's be honest, we've all told herpes jokes over the years and we continued to tell them ourselves right up until we got the diagnosis. Now, through our own tribulations we understand the pain and suffering and feel like lepers and a bit guilty when we first find out. But, through time comes understanding, compassion, strength, and so many other things that it can be a blessing if you let it. It can be a great gift if you open your eyes to what it is teaching us about life and ourselves. And, yes, I am an eternal optimist...most of the time.

Having the Herps is not karma, or fate, or even punishment (unless you got it during S&M, in which case you either said the wrong safe word or are really loving this in a sick and twisted kind of way!); it's a lesson in humility that 1 in 6 people in America is dealing with (1 in 4 if you're a woman).

Finally, for those of us still waiting for other window periods to expire, remember this: You're still alive and as long as the sun rises in the morning, only you can extinguish your hopes and dreams.

So, Herpe Holidays and Merry Cool Sitz Bath! Merry Christmas and god bless every blister! Enjoy your turkeys, nibble on your loved one's neck, and for goodness sake, tell your family you love them.