• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

second herpes outbreak, learning to deal. confused about the different HSVs

Hi. I'm new on here and I should start by saying that this is such a great site... I feel like I have already learned so much and, unfortunately, have begun to realize how little education I got from doctors involved in my care. As a result, I feel like my questions are building up in my head!!

I was diagnosed with HSV1 Feb of 2013 and had a pretty severe OB as my first. I 'think' I may have had one minor outbreak during the summer but was not sure since my first outbreak was horrible and this seemed nothing like it. Now, I think I am having an outbreak. This seems more clear to me that it is herpes, however, its not as severe as my first outbreak. I am experiencing more cramping and groin pain and I did have some itching and mild pain and tenderness. I guess this current break out is making it more real to me that I have to deal with this on a consistent basis.

My next questions is:

When growing up I did have cold sores, until I went on the pill in adolescence, which seemed to stop them. After my HSV1 diagnosis a year a go, I noticed I do get small cold sores every once in a while again. Is there a link here? I guess I'm a little confused. Do I have both HSV oral and HSV1 genital? Or did I always have HSV and it was just passed to my genitals through sexual acts? The person I was sleeping with when diagnosed with HSV1 genital did not think he had it or if he was just a carrier to his knowledge he had never passed it, which is why I am wondering if I just had it a long time dormant and it came out when triggered by stress.

Also, as a related question: Would this mean that during a breakout down there should I refrain from kissing as well?

Thanks for your help!!

Short answer (I have to leave to go to my dad's house for Christmas eve dinner!) ...

A herpes outbreak in one location doesn't necessarily mean that it will also happen in another location (or even be virally shedding). If you have herpes in both locations, the outbreaks will happen independently of each other. That doesn't mean you should refrain from kissing if you're having a genital outbreak. And flipping that around, it also doesn't mean you should necessarily refrain from having sex if you have an active oral cold sore (although it's pretty hard to refrain from kissing when I'm having sex!) So please, kiss away! Kissing is one of the best parts of the whole thing! :)

Does that answer your question?

Happy holidays to you ...

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Hey Dreamer,

Well, it sounds like you've had HSV1 is oral for a long time, and it likes to live up north and mouth off from time to time. HSV2 is genital and enjoys life down south in warmer climates where it likes to host a party in the pants a few times a year.

Over time, both settle down and the parties in the panties get less intense because the antibody police are on the lookout for their shenanigans 24/7; and they are ready to shut 'em down when they start to turn the music up.

Primary OB's occur because your body isn't used to the new virus and has no antibodies built up to fight it. You get tired and feel ill because your immune system gets overwhelmed trying to fight it off as it builds up its antibody arsenal. That takes time, and it's the reason primary OB's can be so bad and noticeable.

Recurrent OB's occur when the antibodies are preoccupied with illnesses such as the flu/colds, or depressed because of stress, anxiety, lack of sleep, poor diet, etc. These factors lower the immune system's response which allows the virus to replicate and make its way to the surface and raise hell. The difference each of us will have with recurrent outbreaks is enormous and there is no standard formula. Sounds like yours are pretty mild, and that's a great thing that many people wish they had.

For either HSV1 or HSV2 recurrent outbreaks, the symptoms can be very mild and barely noticeable. They can include rashes, blisters, headaches, fevers, cramps, muscle pains, etc. Sometimes there will just be tiny little cracks in the skin with no blister or blood present. I know one guy who just gets tingles for a few days. You'll just have to get used to what your body is telling you.

I would be highly surprised if you have HSV1 in both places, and no you can't transfer it to yourself and around your body. Auto-inoculation beyond the primary outbreak is virtually unheard of, and it is unlikely even during a primary infection.

Further, while you can have HSV1 or HSV2 in either place, I've never heard of anyone having the same strain in both places at the same time which is what I think you were asking. I'd suggest you have an antibody test done for both HSV1 and HSV2 antibodies. If you have both, then you have HSV1 upstairs, and you have a nastier, less socially acceptable bum with a bad attitude named HSV2 in the basement. Either can be calmed down with the antivirals on the market these days; in my case, I go holistic with aloe, lysine, and diet, and it's worked fine so far with the same results as the meds offer. But, experiment and see what works for your body.

Is it possible your partner had HSV1 or HSV2 dormant for a long time? Sure is. 80% of people never experience symptoms or know they have it. The woman who gave HSV2 to me for Christmas had no idea she carried it and only has a vague idea of how she acquired it because her two former boyfriends never showed symptoms. I've had HSV1 since childhood and haven't had a cold sore in 20 years. Thus, I do know it is possible to carry either and not show any symptoms. I also know it's possible to build up antibodies that can shut the virus down for a long time after a period of activity.

If you are having a breakout south of the beltline, there is no reason you should refrain from kissing. Further, about 90% of adults have HSV1 in their mouth (only about 2% have HSV2 in the mouth), which means that your odds of transferring HSV1 to a partner during a long, sloppy wet kiss are pretty low as the likelihood is they already have it. Snog away, it'll be just fine. Just don't shag as if you have HSV2 downstairs, you are highly contagious right now and could infect someone who doesn't have it already.

Remember you have HSV1, and maybe HSV2 from what you wrote. You have them; don't let them get you. Keep a "positive" attitude and that will help your immune system immensely as it fights these nasty little cousins off. The vast majority of people I talk to who never have recurrent outbreaks all share one thing in common: a positive outlook.

Thank-you so much for taking the time to write back. I truly appreciate it and believe you did clear some things up for me.

When I was diagnosed, the doc did say I do have the HSV1 downstairs and he went on to say this is the strain experiences less BOs. And I do experience cold sores on my mouth and from my understanding this is also HSV1...so I may be one of those that has the same strain in both places. I will consider the antibody test for both though so I can be clear.

I try to maintain positive although I do have my moments! I'm really into yoga and healthy eating so I'm glad I was set up well in that way too.

Thanks again!!!

Ok so here is my take on one possibility

" The person I was sleeping with when diagnosed with HSV1 genital did not think he had it or if he was just a carrier to his knowledge he had never passed it, which is why I am wondering if I just had it a long time dormant and it came out when triggered by stress. "

So perhaps somehow your HSV1 oral went so "dormant" you stopped producing antibodies (or produced less) ... Which opened you up to possibly getting it down south...sounds like you had not had an OB on your lip for a long time...correct?

So can I assume you and your partner may have had oral sex? If so, THAT would be where he passed it on to you. I would strongly suggest to him he get tested (he should no matter what anyway) just so he knows. So many people think they are clear because they went for STD tests but they don't know that herpes is not on the normal group of tests - only Syphilis, gonorrhea, and HIV are usually tested for.

The good thing is that HSV1 doesn't shed as much and is therefore harder to pass on sexually once it settles down.

(((HUGS)))