• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Received oral sex from someone with oral herpes: When should I get tested for herpes?

About four days ago, I received unprotected oral sex from someone who had a cold sore on their top lip. I've spent the last four days sleepless, nervous, crying, scared, etc. As dumb as it might sound, I didn't understand that this could lead to genital herpes until I did some research AFTER it had already happened.

I have never had a cold sore, nor have I ever been tested for HSV-1, so I have no idea if I already have the antibodies. I'd like to talk to someone and get tested as soon as possible, but I've read in some places to wait two weeks after your initial exposure to get tested.

Would it be pointless to get a blood test now? I've never been so scared about something in my life. I know that I won't really be at ease until I take a test. In the meantime, I'm not really sure what to do. I'm googling symptoms in every spare second that I have.

Ok, take a deep breath. Like you, most of us didn't realize it until after the fact. One of those things that the public education sex ed curriculum really should cover in greater detail.

Because your partner had a cold sore present during the deed, the possibility is considerably greater that transmission occurred. It's also possible that if there was a little kissy kissy that preceded the sucky sucky that you'll get it orally, too. However, you don't know that for sure. Just because you've never had a cold sore doesn't mean you don't already have HSV1. Do your mom, dad, aunts, uncles, grandma, grandpa? If they do, and they ever gave you a goodnight kiss or shared a soda pop with you as a child, there's a strong likelihood you're worrying over nothing. In fact, there's an 80-90% chance you already have HSV1 and just don't know it. I have HSV1 and haven't had a cold sore in more than 2 decades.

Yes, getting a blood test right now would be pointless. You're way too soon in the window period. However, if you do develop a blister or two down below, or on your lips, get to your local Planned Parenthood or your OB/GYN and have them do a swab test. Otherwise, a blood test might not show a confirmed positive for up to 6 months post exposure.

Now, the mechanics and this is where you should take a deep breath. HSV1 down below is not as big of an issue as having HSV2 down below. HSV1 blister buddies below the beltway tend to be very mild with far, far fewer recurrences. It's quite possible that if you have 1 OB, it could very well be your last. It's also possible you'll be one of the 80% who never have a single symptom.

Finally, get off Google. Google is evil. Google is full of really good, and really bad information. Stay off Yahoo especially as most of the people commenting in there couldn't make toast without adult supervision. Unless you can differentiate between the good, the bad, and the true, you're going to scare yourself needlessly. Stick to this site, nothing but straight shooters here.

cgg123

First - Welcome to the Forum... and as Herry said... BREATHE!

And get off Google...LOL... yeah - *I* would get scared with some of the photos and stuff I've seen too and I've had HSV1 Oral since I was a very tiny tot and HSV2 genital since I was 17 ... so it's just a part of me at this point but there is some CRAZY B.S. out there.

Yeah - go to PP, your OBGYN, STD clinic (there are LOTS of them popping up around the country) or Urologist if you are a guy (sorry - hard to tell from your post for sure). DON'T go to a Family Practitioner - many many of them are horridly out of date with their info (because to THEM its a really minor thing so they don't keep up with the latest studies and info) ... probably best to wait unless you think your family could have exposed you to HSV1 as a kid (60% of young adults have HSV1 acquired mostly as very young children - it rises to 80%+ in older populations). Even 2 weeks may give you a false negative result so if it comes back negative, go back in 3-4 months even if you have no symptoms just to be safe.

AND... no matter what, I promise you Herpes is NOT the end of the world. Yes it can be darned painful and uncomfortable at first but most people's bodies get a grip on it (and you learn to manage it through healthier living) and before too long it just becomes a nuisance. It's NOT cancer and you won't be horridly disfigured. Life will go back to normal. Just look around a room and realize that 80% of the people there likely have H1 and 15-20% have H2 (and some lucky bastards like me get BOTH). Try to guess who they are. I'll bet at best you will spot 1-2% with a cold sore. Every one of them is living their life just fine. THAT is the reality of HSV. It's the stigma that WE put onto it that makes it much much bigger and scarier than it is ;)

(((HUGS)))

When I felt the tiny bump down there in my genitals I spent EVERY waking moment I could googling Herpes symptoms, what herpes looks like.. && it didn't really help at all. It just made me more and more anxious. More and more stressed out. My boyfriend could so tell that I was stressed out. He kept asking me what was wrong and I would never tell him. I just kept googling and googling. Nope it just made me more worried! && if you stress yourself out and you do have it most likely you are going to cause yourself to have an outbreak.

Like she said Herpes genital or oral is not the end of the world. && If you have HSV-1 down there then you are a lot luckier, because it sheds and outbreaks appear less.. I am in the HSV-2 category. I know it is hard, and the stigma is a lot worse than what it really is. 1-4/5 people have HSV-2 and every 8-10 people have HSV-1. Like she said we make it a lot worse than what it is. Once the reality sinks into your own head that its not as bad as people make it out to be, then you will be just fine. && I promise you will be fine anyways.

Much love!

Thank you guys so much. You have no idea how helpful you've been. I wish there wasn't that stigma surrounding HSV.

It's been over five days now and no signs of anything yet, orally or genitally.

I have a couple of questions that you might be able to answer if you don't mind.

How long does it normally take for a first outbreak after being exposed to HSV-1?

Is coming in contact with the saliva enough to spread HSV-1 or is it direct contact with the sore that can spread it?

How long does it take for the first OB?

Sorry to say but anything from a few days to never...some people never ever have an OB .... which is why you should get tested in about 4-6 months just in case...BUT... Most people *think* they have been tested when in fact they have not. So you could be carrying it anyway.....if you are (say if you are silently carrying the cold sores from childhood) then you likely won't get it now in your genital area as you already have the antibodies to fight it off.

And direct contact with the sore is far more likely to result in a transference of the virus than just saliva...BUT..50% of the new genital cases are HSV1 from Oral sex :(

When you do get tested (and you may want to go now AND in 4 months so you know if you were already carrying it anyway) go to either Planned Parenthood, and obgyn/Urologist, or STD testing center (there are LOTS of them out there). Family doctors are often pretty useless and behind on their info and testing methods :(

I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear but it's the facts ...

(((HUGS)))