• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I have genital HSV-2. He has oral HSV-1 and genital HSV-2. Can he give me genital HSV-1?

I have genital HSV-2. He has oral HSV-1 and genital HSV-2. Can he give me genital HSV-1? And actually I'm not super sure of where his viruses are located because he only did a blood test and had antibodies for both viruses and claims he's never had symptoms in either regions. He is my newest partner and I had my first outbreak a little over a month after being with him and had a swab done and had it typed so we suspect it originated from him, but we're not totally positive about that either. :-/

Kjle1990

First - Welcome to the Forum and glad you found us :)

Yes - he CAN give you HSV1 genital - BUT are you sure you do not have HSV1 oral yourself? Many many people (around 80%) have HSV1oral themselves and 80% of them don't know they have it or have not realized that their cold sores are HSV1. Sohave YOU been blood tested???

Most people *think* they have been tested when in fact they have not. I would suggest you go in and get blood tested because if you have HSV1 antibodies it's inlikely he will pass that on to you.

And BTW, if he never had an outbreak his HSV1 *could* be Oral OR Genital.

And you are right - while it looks like (timing wise) you got it from him, you will likely never know for sure..you could have had it and not had an outbreak until now. Herpes is a sneaky little devil which is why it's so prevalent.

Your best bet at the moment is to get clear about YOUR status. Then figure out how you want to proceed if you need to (and want to) try to protect yourself from the HSV1.

Hope that helps.... (((HUGS)))

I was talking about this before. I used to get cold soars and fever blisters really bad, but I haven't have an OB since I was 13.. && I have never tested positive for HSV-1. It could be that I have it so under control.

You can still get it on your genital area, but HSV-1 has a lot less shedding that HSV-2.

&& now that I read this I see where you are coming from. Since you got tested when you were with him it is most likely that you did get it from him.. Have you asked him if he had an OB and where it was located ?

He said he's never had any signs or symptoms indicating that he's ever had it, but his blood tests shows he has antibodies for both HSV-1 and HSV-2 after I told him I was positive for HSV-2. He has had two unprotected partners since he last got tested before I told him to get tested again while with me. I have been in a monogamous relationship for over a year before my current guy, but before that relationship I wasn't exactly a saint either although I did use protection most of the time. I guess I'll never really know the origins but like you guys said. Blame game doesn't help anything. :/ although I just think it's so strange that I have an outbreak with my newer partner but never had an outbreak during or after my most recently ended relationship cuz I was taking classes like biochemistry and microbiology. I would think that under so much college stress I would have had an outbreak way before if it was dormant.