• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes outbreak severity different fr dormant to initial outbreak vs initial exposure to first OB?

Is herpes outbreak severity different from dormant to initial herpes outbreak vs initial exposure to first herpes outbreak? I guess I'm curious as to whether I had genital HSV-2 for a while and it was dormant then showed its ugly head in an outbreak or whether my initial exposure was recent followed by an outbreak shortly thereafter. I know my initial outbreak was very INTENSE. I had a yeast infection as a secondary infection to the herp at the same time my first time and was told to buy monistat OTC. Burned!!! Having the monistat vaginally and a herpes outbreak for the first time was a nightmare that I thought I'd never wake up from. Then for a month after I continued experiencing intense prodrome symptoms of tingling that wouldn't stop until the virus finally went dormant like 5 weeks later. Was prescribed 800 mg acyclovir to take 3x a day for 5 days during outbreaks and 400 mg twice a day for suppression. I guess I've been playing the blame game and I want my partner to own up to the idea that his lack of glove usage with a couple of strangers has given us an incurable disease. But maybe its possible I contracted the herp a long time ago and it was dormant for forever. I just wish I knew....

I don't know that there are studies about initial outbreaks after an original dormancy because most people wouldn't know they had it (or how long) in that case. However, you say your OB was intense so that makes me think you were recently exposed. The only way you *might* figure it out is to get an IGM test - that test tells you if you were recently exposed - but they are not 100% reliable.

So if he didn't use a condom in the past, well, many people "trust" that the other person knows their status. And we've all done dumb shit in the past. Now, if it occurred while you are together, then yeah - you have every reason to get upset with him. ( I wasn't sure if you meant that was before you met or if he cheated or if you are swingers... so not making any assumptions here ;) )But take this on ... If you have been riding bareback yourself without making sure he was properly tested, well, what is the difference between you and him (whether you got it from him or not)?

Thing is, most people trust that the other person is being honest with them...and many times they are ...because they believe they are ok. They think they were tested when in fact they only got HIV, Syphilis, and Gonorrhea ... OR their GP told them they could only pass it on during and outbreak (totally wrong but some Dr's STILL believe this :( ) so they think they just have to be careful. Or they forget they had cold sores as a kid. Yada Yada Yada.

In the end, a blame game won't get you anywhere. ;)

(((HUGS)))

The blame game will not help get you anywhere, because like she said there really is no way to tell and IGM tests are not 100%. I got an IGM test and it said that I was not recently exposed to it that I had it for a while.. But I am not so sure about that because my test 3 months ago was negative.

I mean I never really used condoms ( my own dumb decision) and I ended up getting this, but the fact of the matter is even with a condom is that if you or your partner have an OB it can still be passed, because a lot of the time condoms do not cover the area with the OB occurs. That is the truth you can still pass it on due to viral shedding.. && in the first year of having Herpes the viral shedding is at it's worst.

A lot of people do think that they are okay, look at me for example. I thought I was okay, and come to find out that I am not. The truth is a lot can happen in a month. Some of us -cough- me... I am not even going to lie, were more promiscuous than others. && within a few months anything can happen.

Also did you have your partner get tested? Do you know that he has it, because there is a chance that he did or didn't give it to you.