• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

The herpes test results are in

Hello Everyone.

I have been reading some of the post on here and I really like all the support on here. So I have been diagnosed with HSV 1 and 2 2 days ago. I am confused, sad, shocked, alone, lost and full of questions. So first off I am still coping with it. The next thing i need to do is to tell my girlfriend that i might have given it to her. Also How do I figure out if i gave it to her or she gave it to me? Also there was woman before her. She knew about it. I am scared of her reaction. So the other question is my mom has it. would i get it from her when she had me? Also if it is dormant would the test results come up negative? I do appreciate any answers you can give me.

My mother also had herpes.. I did not get it from my mother. The doctor said the chance of that is very low.. My mother had a c section.

Also ask your girlfriend to go get tested for this.. and be honest with her.. Tell her that you have herpes, but don't freak out or anything and try to blame her. Say that you just want to make sure she is okay.. Honestly with this there is no way of telling who you got it from.. This virus is tricky like that.

If it is dormant it would not come back negative..

&& I especially wouldn't be worried if your mother has type 2 as you have type 1

farfromperfect

Welcome! Its getting late so I'm going to cut to the chase:

1) So the other question is my mom has it. would i get it from her when she had me?

Very likley not - at least, not during birth. If you got it then, it would have made you VERY sick....it's the one time that Herpes is life threatening...because newborns have no defenses and the virus can run amok in their systems. Now, she *could* have given you HSV1 oral as a child by kissing you or sharing a drink with you. 60% of young adults have HSV1 (aka Cold Sores). Did you ever have an outbreak on your mouth/chin?

2) Also if it is dormant would the test results come up negative?

Nope - once it's established you will always have the antibodies to it. For NEWLY exposed carriers, it can take up to 6 months for the antibodies to get to a point where they are detectable on the tests...so if you came up positive in a blood test, there is a good chance you have had this for awhile.

3) The next thing i need to do is to tell my girlfriend that i might have given it to her. Also How do I figure out if i gave it to her or she gave it to me? Also there was woman before her. She knew about it. I am scared of her reaction.

I'm a little confused. Your ex knows she had it? If so, that's likely where you got it.

Victoria put it well - tell your GF that you just got diagnosed and you want to have her get tested to make sure she is ok. IF she comes up positive, well, then you have BOTH had it for at least 6 months and you may never know who gave it to who. If she comes up negative she should be retested in 6 months and you may want to go on Suppressive meds to reduce your risk of transferring it to her.

So have you actually had an outbreak or did you just decide to have the test to see what your status was?

(((HUGS))) ... And BREATHE. We are here to help you while you adjust to understanding Herpes and how to live with it :)