• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I think my first herpes outbreak has started....

Hi all,

So after testing positive seven months ago, Two days ago I began having a slight itchiness And a little bit of burning when I used the restroom accompanied with a weird thigh pain. I called my doctor but he did not want to give me any medication because he was unsure that it was outbreak. He suggested that we wait and see. I took 1000mg of L-Lysine this morning and all my symptoms are gone now. No itchiness, no thigh pain and no little burn when I pee. There are no bumps or redness. There's nothing.

Could this have been my first outbreak? My boyfriend was tested again 2 weeks ago for all STI's and is negative for everything so I know it's not anything else.

Should I be taking more L-Lysine just in case? Any other things I should do? Could this be my outbreak? Is it over?

Any suggestions?!

Thanks for any advice! :-)

Herpes is a tricky bitch. There are no rules to outbreaks. If you were diagnosed 7 months ago and so far haven't had any typical outbreaks (flu like symptoms, fatigue, blisters that turn to sores, etc.) then it could be safe to assume that an outbreak for you is mild irritation and a tingly/burning feeling in your thighs (I had the same feeling in the back of my legs during my outbreak). That's not to say every outbreak will be that "easy", you could have a more severe experience later down the road, or you make have an outbreak that mimics razor burn or heat rash. Like I said, tricky bitch.

I would just be on guard for something for a week or so, take extra precautions during sex and do skin checks for rashes or bumps. Get to know your body, get to know new feelings. Pay attention to your habits. Are you sleeping enough? Hydrated? Stressed? If you answered that no you're getting about 5 hours of sleep a night lately and living on coffee then chances are that was an outbreak. Knowing your body will be the best thing you can do when dealing with a virus that plays by no rules.

One more thing... I've read on here & on CDC website that prodome generally lasts from a few hours and up to 2 days. So is it safe to say that if you've had prodome symptoms for more than 2 days but no actual bumps or anything else that you won't actually get a full blown outbreak?

@Yadira

So am I to understand that you are not on suppressants? Is that your choice or the Dr's opinion? Is your Dr an OBGYN or Family Dr? And what is your BF's thoughts on possible transmission?

I personally would want to have some anti-virals in at least to take in the case of a possible OB (if you are in agreement with your BF that you not take them regularly)... just to help you to gain control of it quickly. If the virus is not active the antiviral will just get excreted... it doesn't affect anything in the absence of the virus....

It certainly sounded like a prodrome symptom. And likely brought on by stress...the good thing is you can learn how to manage your life better thanks to Herpes IF you learn to listen to your body ... and THAT is a lesson most people never get :)

@WCS hi, I have a OBGYN but I also have an internal medicine doctor who's practice specializes in STI's. Both Doctors think its best for me not to be on daily suppresive therapy because I wasn't having outbreaks but since this happened I think I will be getting on it. My boyfriends view on it is that he loves me & doesn't care either way. He says we are in it together but I do feel like now since I had this episode, it's best if I go ahead and take daily meds -at least for a while to see how things go.

L-Lysine has really helped me and I'm so happy about that but I know that won't protect him from getting Herpes and I want to protect him as much as I can.

I think this definitely happened because I was really stressed. I'm going to try and be as stress free as possible but that's kind of hard to do but I'm going to try! How long should I wait to have sex again? The symptoms are all gone now.

Thanks!