• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Question - Had genital herpes (HSV1) outbreak, now having oral HSV1 outbreak

I was just diagnosed with genital HSV1 a month ago when I had my first OB. The OB was only genitally not orally. I all of a sudden started feeling the tingling on my mouth yesterday, so I am assuming that I now am susceptible to an OB genitally and orally. I know it can't be that different because it is the same virus just in different locations but I was wondering what is the proper way to care for the OB orally?

I don't have any bumps or blisters yet it just has been tingling for about 24 hours.

I bought abreva at the drug store today and have been using that. I am concerned that when I apply the lotion I am spreading it on my lips and mouth area. Can it spread by applying the medication?

Also my lips are now chapped, can I apply chap stick with my finger to ease the discomfort or will that spread the infection too?

I was prescribed Valtrex to take during an OB (not everyday) and I don't know if I should take it for an oral OB as well? I read online that oral medication doesn't really work for oral OB. I do take a lysine supplement everyday just for prevention as well.

If anyone has any answers for me I would appreciate your feedback )

@YoungAndReceptive

Can it spread by applying the medication?

No - the Abreva will kill it first IF indeed you have HSV1 oral.

Also my lips are now chapped,

Actually i would guess that the tingling is the chapped lips. When I get an oral OB the tingling is specifically where the sore comes up...when I get chapped lips I get tingling/burning all over. It's HIGHLY unlikely you have it in both places... not impossible, but the odds are really low. If you are that worried, take the valtrex... I take one and use something like Abreva on the sores and it disappears within a few days. But be careful....I don't know about Abreva but the Oragel stuff I used is really strong and really dried the area up where I have the sores (which is how it kills the virus).

You also might have a heightened sense of imaginary symptoms. I had one spot on my upper lip that tingled during my first outbreak. I was convinced that it was the beginning of an oral outbreak. I think it was information overload in my brain causing the feeling. It's since gone away and I haven't had a sign of a outbreak. It's been about a month. When you focus on something so much, like I'm sure you have on having herpes, it can play with your mind.