• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

They never gave me a "type" for my herpes diagnosis

So when I was tested for herpes, they did a swab of the blister and it came back positive for herpes. I am not debating that I have it, but I had wondered which type I had. I'd had more than one outbreak before I went on antivirals.

I decided to get an official answer to what type my herpes is. However, when I went to go get the official results, they showed me that it doesn't give my type anywhere in my record. All they had in the system was the test they did and that it came up positive for genital herpes. I am not positive if this means that it is type 2 or not.

Do I now need to go get a blood test done?

Its not a huge deal, even if it is type 2. I assumed that is what I had anyways. The last time I had sex before getting a positive diagnosis, I didn't receive oral sex, but that is assuming that my last sexual encounter is what gave me herpes.

However, it does make a difference in how I disclose if I have HSV1 genitally.

Make sure when you go for the blood test that you insist on a printout of the results. So often nowadays we just get a phone call. ALWAYS get a print-out so you have something to compare to for future tests for ANY tests you have. You should have a folder with all your health records .... ;)

I went to my dr to find ask if I could get a blood test to find out which type I had.. and was told there was basically no advantage to knowing which one you have. So I didn't get it done. And I was satisfied enough... I mean... herpes is herpes right?

When I was first told from a doctor I cant remember if they didnt even tell me or if I just zoned out and stopped listening. Lol. So yeah I dont know.

Well, no - Herpes is not Herpes ... if it was, there wouldn't be a Type 1 and Type 2, now would there?

It helps to know which one you have, because if a future partner already has the same one, you have less issues concerning them getting it from you. If you both have Genital Type 2, then you are pretty in the clear as only 1% of Type 2 will transfer to the mouth area.

If you both have Type 1 genital, again, you are generally safe tho you could tansfer it to the other's mouth via oral sex but again, the risk is lower as you have the antibodies. Same if one has Type 1 Oral and one has Type 1 genital ...yes, you can transfer it to the other area but the risk is lower because you have the antibodies.

So tho the Dr's don't have an interest in knowing which one you have, it can have an impact on how you proceed with a new partner as far as anti-virals and other forms of protection ....

What Dancer said is exactly why I want to know and why I said it made a difference in how I disclose.

It makes disclosure easier if I can say that if he has HSV-1 orally (which the majority of the population does) then the risks are much lower.

Granted, I know I can still have successful disclosures regardless, but its about presenting the most accurate information as possible.