• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How can I distinguish between a pimple and a recurrence?

Still waiting for enough time from a suspected primary OB about 6-8 wks ago to pass for a conclusive blood test, but PCR tests were negative.

I currently have a single bump in my pubic area. It has been there for about 3 days. When I soak in the tub it seems to recede. It is slightly white at the top but has no noticeable "head" or area of eruption, and it's not red or irritated looking. I've been prone to the occasional pimple/blocked pore or ingrown hair forever, which is mainly bc I work out a lot. I'm training for a 1/2 marathon and have really increased my workouts and running schedule. It looks pretty much like those things but of course now I'm a hypochondriac and EVERYTHING down there is SOMETHING even when it's not. It doesn't hurt, itch or sting, as far as I can tell I haven't had anything else I can recognize as a symptom of an outbreak, and I only am aware of it bc I now obsessively check to see if anything's going on. And of course now that I have seen it I can feel it. Sooo, am I being ridiculous or could this be a lesion?

If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and quacks like a duck, its a duck.... :D

If it looks like the pimples you've had in the past, feels like one, and disappears in the same time frame as past occurrences, it's likely a pimple ;)

Also, the more you focus on something, the bigger/scarier it gets.

Again, herpes OB's tend to be BLISTERS and "cracks" that feel like paper cuts (you'd definitely be able to distinguish them from Pimples) ... so stop freaking out and get to working out friend :)

It doesn't hurt, itch or sting,

Herpes usually does all the above as well as tingling and burning ... again, I'm hearing a duck on your side of the pond ;)

How long would it take to blister up? Usually not long at all. But then again, H doesn't play by any set rules ...

Stop obsessing about it and get on with life my friend ... whatever happens it will either blister up or it won't ... and then you will have your answer. Obsessing about it won't change anything. Get out and life life.... it's too short to live with a mirror between your legs and your head focused on Google Images ;)

Well then, that is the lesson that Herpes has been sent to teach you... or at least ONE of the lessons...LOL

Learning to be ok with not knowing, and just accepting *what is* in any particular moment, is a powerful skill that needs to be nurtured and strengthened ... like a muscle, it takes time to isolate and build up but once you know how to access it, it's a beautiful thing ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! I seem to have the same problem! I obsess with looking and feeling "down there" to see if anything funky is going on down there. I have hsv 1 on my genitals and have been on suppressive therapy for 6 months. Just a week ago I noticed a bump but it never was red, itchy or had any head on it. I'm still not sure if it's an outbreak or not buy I'm still careful and treat it like one because I know I already have herpes. I refrain from sex as well. Everyday I look at that bump and it gets smaller and smaller but I can't wait for it to be completely gone. But if this is all the outbreaks are then I think we're pretty lucky.

@Xtina420

I finally went back to my Dr. Apparently the bump was just a bump...most likely an ingrown that never surfaced. It never did anything like a lesion but I had to go ask bc I was pretty much making myself insane. The constant checking & freaking out was really not good . After talking to her she made it seem like after a day or 2 there would be no question if it was an OB...it would blister and crack/rupture, and seemed like the pre-breakout symptoms are pretty clear and hard to mistake. It seems like everyone who posts on here has slightly different experiences however, but that was my conversation with her and it did put me at ease a little.

What I'm curious about is how you find out what type you have? My PCR tests at the supposed outbreak were both negative, and my dr says that all a blood test would say is that I've been exposed at some point, which doesn't help bc most people have been. And I guess that maybe if it's HSV 1 it might re ur less frequently bc it doesn't really prefer girly parts. Again...not knowing blows. I'm sure this is all a lesson but I would still like to know.

You can get a blood test by type. In Canada, the national test doesn't do it by type, but u can pay trough a special lab. I don't know where u life but search the Internet. But blood tests u definitely can find out by type.

How do h know it's herpes if swab came back negative?

Get a score now of igg ELISA test or western blot and if negative do one at 4 months and then 6 to know for sure.

Yes, you could hae had oral hsv1 if u have had cold sores or u could be symptomatic. Doctors tend to no doin blood but I would request type specific test.

Sorry on phone got to go but dancer will answer soon I am sure

You can definitely get blood typed ... the standard Herpes Select Elissa test (the most common) will tell you that .. and it IS useful to know because if you have one kind and your partner has another, you will deal with it differently than if you both have the same one or if your partner is H-.

And @whitedaisies is right ... a negative swab result is inconclusive then ... so I would want a blood test at 4 months post exposure... if it's H- then, do another at 6 months.

For Dr's, it's no biggie and they don't understand the logic WE have for knowing which one we have ... but when you live with something, you know the practicalities of it and what you need to know and do to deal with it ;)

@lookingforalaska

I found out u had type 1 when I had an active outbreak and they swabbed it to test it. I only would get one bump that went through all the classic symptoms maybe once every year until 6 months ago I was getting one every month. My doctor put me on suppressive therapy and have not got an outbreak or any symptoms until that stupid one bump last week. I think from being on the medication it made the bump not a soar but I'm not too sure. I hope it's what your doctor was talking about, just a bump and not herpes but I know I have it so I still treat it the same and refrain from sex. My husband doesn't have it so I try to be extra careful. It's just really weird the bump wasn't red, didn't itch and never blistered. I also obsess over it and constantly look to see what's going on down there if anything. It sucks but I'm beginning to come to terms with it and my husband doesn't care at all. This forum helps me a lot too with dealing with it all. If you ever need to talk I'm here!

• 2 weeks later...

@WCSdancer2010, she was very nonchalant about it. Her response was, "all it would show is you had been exposed and we would treat it the same regardless of type." But like @whitedaisies said, other than a visual diagnosis I have nothing else to go on, especially as it's my understanding the pcr test is pretty accurate. I guess the thing is that it makes a difference to me, as I want to eliminate as many of the unknowns as I can.

@Xtina420, nothing ever came of that particular bump. I have no idea what that means. But every time anything feels at all out of sorts I have to look or check or freak out. I'm hoping as time goes on that will stop. And thanks so much...it's so helpful to know that I'm not the only person who worries about that s#%t.

If you Dr won't cooperate, you may want to switch Dr's .. or you can go to an STD clinic or Planned Parenthood ... some of the STD clinics are free... PP gave me a huge discount when I told them I had limited funds....

What your Dr (and many others) doesn't get is that it helps to know WHICH H you have ... if you meet someone and you find they have the same KIND of H, then you won't have to worry about passing it on. If they have the other one, or none, then you would treat it differently. SMH .....

If you Dr won't cooperate, you may want to switch Dr's .. or you can go to an STD clinic or Planned Parenthood ... some of the STD clinics are free... PP gave me a huge discount when I told them I had limited funds....

What your Dr (and many others) doesn't get is that it helps to know WHICH H you have ... if you meet someone and you find they have the same KIND of H, then you won't have to worry about passing it on. If they have the other one, or none, then you would treat it differently. SMH .....