• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes outbreak after stopping medication?

Hey,

So right before I went and got my H typed (turns out I have type 2), I stopped taking my acyclovir because I was almost out. I had been taking two pills twice a day. I started taking them because I was breaking out every time I cut myself shaving, and it was more inconvenient than painful. I am not currently sexually active or in a relationship. I was interested in seeing where my H was at in terms of my body having built up the strength to keep it at bay, as it has almost been a year since diagnosis and my first outbreak.

Not long after I stopped, probably within a week, I had an outbreak. As of now, it is not severe. It hurts but it does not interfere with using the bathroom or walking or anything.

Is this common when coming off the medication? I plan on resuming when I enter a relationship or when I get annoyed with constant outbreaks, so this isn't a permanent thing.

Well, if you went of cold turkey or close to that, it was likely a shock to your system ... I expect from what you are saying you may have a few smaller OB's and then hopefully it will settle down.

What I normally do is as soon as I feel an OB coming on, I hit it with a couple pills, once or twice a day for maybe 2 days. Usually that's enough to send it scampering for it's ganglion home again ;)