• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Swollen and tender lymph nodes in neck

Almost 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with genital HSV1, and my first OB has finally cleared up and I have even gone a full day without crying. Progress!

Anyway, I woke up with swollen lymph nodes behind my left ear. My OBGYN says this couldn't have anything to do with the HSV, and my PCP says he thinks it is caused from the stress associated with the diagnosis. Has anyone experienced anything similar following their diagnosis?

I don't have swollen lymph nodes behind my ear, but I do have them on right breast and under my armpit (diagnosed hsv2 via swab 2 months ago). To the extent that with a suspicious spot on mammogram recently (and the lymph node thing), I was sent for a needle biopsy just to be sure no cancer. Incredibly frustrating and super stressful. Seems because I refuse to stop cycling I'm triggering OBs, hence the swollen lymph nodes. I've been told they can be swollen for quite a few months while I develop anitbodies. Not sure if this helps, but that's what my doc said.

Lymph nodes will swell up in reaction to an "infection" or other "insult" in the body. So it's possible it's just your body doing it's job... and all that crying is actually likely aggravating them even further. Hopefully as you come to terms with having H and acceptance you will find that the nodes will go down ;)

(((HUGS)))

That's exactly what my breast cancer surgeon said. When I went for my initial exam with her after the biopsy and Dx, she felt some swelling of the nodes under the armpit on that side. She said I was having "reactive nodes" due to having been poked, prodded, squished and biopsied. Apparently they don't like all that harrassment that and will swell in protest. ;) Since they have a lab right there, they went ahead took a biopsy of the nodes to be sure, but they were negative - just pissed.