• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Valacyclovir... Famiciclovir....?

I literally just went back down to 1000mg daily (suppressive dose) of valacyclovir yesterday, after the 10 day 3000mg from an OB and now another bump appears. Seriously so damn annoying. Grrrr. Has anyone swtiched from val to famiciclovir and had better results? I'm HSV2 gen, diagnosed about 3 months ago.

Valacyclovir is the more effective medication. It delivers more medicine, more directly, with a lower dosage. I have similar issues when going from 1g to 500mg daily. I'm debating which I want to stay with for a while. On the one hand, persistent outbreaks suck, but on the other hand the more the body is exposed to it, the more quickly it learns to clear the active virus. I have also had it for just over three months, if that helps.

It's the exact same medication. Both of them are delivery vehicles for acyclovir. The only differences are cost and the daily dosage. Famciclovir requires 3x daily, acyclovir 2x daily, and valacyclovir 1-2x daily.

oh well dang. No not hopeless @whitedaisies, we can do this .... but geesh I agree, I thought there was another option. OK, so I'll keep taking val 3x a day and just stick with it for a while. Damn that stupid ex bf for not having the guts to tell me he was h+. He still hasn't gotten himself a blood test so I can know if I'm dealing with both 1 & 2 or just 2. You think he could at least do that for me since my blood test is still neg. Cowardly bastard. Ugh. He needs to see the wizard for a 3 pack. Brains, heart and courage.

@diversgirl

He still hasn't gotten himself a blood test so I can know if I'm dealing with both 1 & 2 or just 2.

Even if he comes up H+ for both, doesn't mean you GOT both. He could have H1 oral and H2 Genital and you just got one or the other ... depending on the delivery method ;)