• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Are these herpes symptoms?

Ok, so I'm confused again about whether I'm experiencing genital HSV-2 symptoms (I'm a guy). I got a few rashes over the past 6 weeks. Now, they are in the folds of my skin in the groin area, and they look pretty uninteresting and uneventful. There are no blisters or lesions or open sores or anything like that. BUT each of the three times there was an area of redness. It wasn't blotchy looking, it wasn't circular like you see with erythema sometimes (the characteristic "bull's eye" rash). There was no pattern or shape to it. It was just a normal patch of skin, that was colored red. Oh yeah and two were on one side of my groin, and one was on the other side. But even so, two of them on opposite sides were pretty close to my midline. How can I tell if this is a mild herpes outbreak, or just coincidentally the appearance of a little redness in my groin, maybe from sweating, working out, etc? Thanks!

Hey bro,

Even though there are "classic" herpes symptoms as described here ...

http://herpeslife.com/genital-herpes-symptoms

... ultimately herpes outbreaks can take on a handful of characteristics. What you describe could be herpes, HPV, a rash from using a new laundry detergent — you never know. Best thing to do is go to a clinic while it's still there, get it swabbed and at least get it looked at firsthand by a medical professional. It's pretty hard for us to give you a definitive diagnosis from a textual explanation of it. Is there a clinic nearby you can make a quick appointment at? If you call them and say you need a possible herpes outbreak swabbed, clinics tend to put priority on that and get you in.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah all three times it went away on its own, and I know herpes goes away on its own most of the time, unless it gets infected. So that had me a little worried. But I read there is something else, another condition called "Intertrigo" which can cause rashes, and sometimes *they* go away on their own too. It's pretty confusing. But next time I see it or feel it I'm going right to the doctor.

I also had another question. I am thinking of getting the Western Blot for herpes. I've read that it's a really good test. They said that the Western Blot measures something like 14 proteins for HSV, and a standard IGG antibody test that is commercially available measures just gg-1 and gg-2. Is that true? A standard commercial test for hsv-2 just looks for one protein?

Sure thing. And yes, Western Blot is the gold standard (2nd only to getting the outbreak directly swabbed). Here's info on herpes tests:

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-tests

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

You will still need to wait 4-6 months from the possible exposure time for the Western Blot to be accurate as I recall. And most labs/Dr's won't do it so you have to go directly to Dr Terri Warren and become a phone patient. You may want to try the normal IGG first ... if you go for Western Blot this is the latest info I have found to get it done if you can't get it done locally through the normal avenues:

Some labs and Dr's won't run the test...if that's the case you can become a phone patient of Terri Warren's at the Westover Heights Clinic,http://westoverheights.com/ (503) 226-6678 ... she can order the test for you through Quest Labs. Apparently after she protested some years back they agreed to let her continue ordering out the test through them.