• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

FYI: No more generic Valtrex (at least in Canada?)

Hi everyone:

I've been taking suppressive therapy for the last two months, and I went tonight to fill the rest of my prescription and the pharmacist told me that there is no more generic Valtrex, period; it is only name brand from now on, which basically doubles the cost. I was shocked. This news seems to make these meds prohibitively expensive.

Even though I am lucky enough to have decent benefits through work, I am stopping my meds - I'm not involved with anyone sexually right now and they weren't stopping my frequent outbreaks anyway (though they were a bit milder).

Has anyone else, in Canada and elsewhere, heard this?

I just got a script as planned parenthood today and nothing was said about non generic not being available anymore. once a Patten has run out on the original, any company can make the generic. sounds fishy, like maybe that particular pharmacist was trying to make more money. id try another place. the big pharma reps got to him.

This may help you out... from the link above

GSK has set up a program that will help some valacyclovir users pay for the significant price difference between generic valacyclovir and Valtrex. You can find more information at RxHelp.ca. I registered over the phone. A 'drug card' is sent to you that covers a 'significant' portion of the cost difference at the register when paying for your prescription. This is on top of what your health plan is covering. I am on a provincial drug plan and so I qualified for the assistance. I am not sure what the qualification criteria are in their entirety.