• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

No symptoms? Get Western Blot!

Hi everyone,

My herpes journey started about a month ago when I was diagnosed with hsv-2 by bloodwork. I never had symptoms and honestly didn't know I was being tested. Needless to say I was in complete shock and struggled with my diagnosis (as I'm sure you can relate). I found this forum and I cannot thank you all enough. After more research and the recommendation to check into the Western Blot and Westover Heights clinic in Oregon by @WCSdancer2010 I had the western blot test and found I'm negative for both hsv 1 and hsv 2.

First, thank you. Thank you all so much. I would've been so lost without this forum and I would have never learned about the western blot.

Second, if you are in a similar situation...get another test!! Like I said, I never had symptoms. HOWEVER, as I learned on this forum, majority of people with herpes do not know they have it. Either way, further testing can only help you. The false positive range is from 0.0-3.5 and I was 2.9. Read your results, research, and if it doesn't feel right...keep pushing for an answer. I would have spent the rest of my life taking a cocktail of vitamins (because I'm a worry wart) and medication I didn't need. There are so many changes in your life with this diagnosis. I learned its not the end of the world and I feel so fortunate to have found all of you to help me through and help me find out more about this world of h. Thank you thank you thank you.

p.s. Westover Heights Clinic was so incredibly helpful. I would recommend them in a heartbeat. :)

<3

Glad you got tested, and happy for your result!

Minor correction: False positives occur at a rate of about 40% in a 1.1-3.5 range in the results. Under 1.1 is a negative result. Unfortunately many Dr's just accept 1.1 as "positive" and don't suggest re-testing and most don't know about the Western Blot.

You can become a phone patient of Dr. Lisa Taulbee at the Westover Heights Clinic,http://westoverheights.com/ (503) 226-6678 ... she can order the test for you through Quest Labs. It costs $5/minute for a consult … cheap IMO for clarity and/or peace of mind.

(((HUGS)))

Wow. I am getting a confirmation test Tuesday, because I never officially got blood work done. I just assumed I had HSV2 since my giver was tested and found to have both, and the extent of my symptoms were very consistent with HSV2...so I need to figure out which one for my own sanity, and just to know my status of if I even have it to begin with. I'm pretty sure I do though, and I'm okay with it.

I don't think any insurance covers WB unfortunately ... but IMO sometimes you just have to invest in your own health and sanity ... I think we get so reliant on insurance we let it make all our health care decisions for us and that isn't a good thing... I get it about finances but if your house had a tree drop on it and the insurance on the house didn't cover it, you would get it fixed out of pocket, right??? ;)

As for what your Dr said, that is the "excuse" the insurance will use, but they don't LIVE with herpes ... they don't know what it's like for someone who doesn't know they have it to find out they gave it to someone else. We are working on changing that here, but it's going to be a bit of a battle.... :/

@E9507 no they didn't. I paid $50 for the phone consult with Westover Heights and I just checked my bank statement for the cost of the test and I wasn't charged. They never said they would or wouldn't charge me for the test...so maybe they won't? I do see the $50 on my bank statement so...who knows.

Either way, it's worth it. I would spend any amount of money to clarify test results no matter what the diagnosis. I want to know exactly what I do and do not have. Call Westover Heights of your doctor won't do it. They're amazing. Good luck! <3