• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Problems getting herpes medication?!?

Rj17

Background: Male, recently diagnosed HSV-2 few months ago but odds are its from a while ago. No symptoms. Partner is negative and we both would like to keep it that way so we are as safe as we can be for the time being.

I would like to get on antivirals to help cut the risks even more but I am running into issues with Doctors. My Doc is close to 100 years old and was very kind but straight told me its nothing to worry about and he cant help. I pushed it and he sent me to an ID Doc. She tells me she will not give meds for HSV2 unless I have OBs a few times a year...I explain that I dont have any obs but understand that it will cut the risk of passing it on. She told me to wear a condom, it cuts the risk to close to 100%...ok...no...I know that is not true.

She will only give meds without an ob if I was married can prove my partner is negative and we are trying to get pregnant. I dont want to have a baby in order to get meds for herpes...seems mildly extreme :)

Is this normal? You can not get antivirals without obs? I understand that condoms + meds is not 100% but its better than just a condom.

That's totally bogus. I went through similar troubles at the Health Department. They refused to give me more antivirals until I had signs of a full on ob and basically told me the same thing. Most docs don't really take Herpes serious since its not a life-threatening condition. So they just tell you avoid sexual contact during an ob and take painkillers and call it a day. I know my body and I could feel the signs of prodrome so I called my gynecologist who rushed a prescription order to my pharmacy the same day. He also gave me 3 more refills in case I have any more in the future. You may want to try calling your local Planned Parenthood and tell them your situation and see if you can get a prescription through them. Good luck!!!

Do you live in the USA or elsewhere? Some countries like the UK won't give the meds out without consistent OB's :(

So... first.. about your test? What were the values? Given you have had no symptoms, if your results were under 3.5, you have a good chance (40%) that it's a false positive. In which case I'd recomend you get a Western Blot test through Westover Heights Clinic.... which would give you a difnitie result ans likely they would give you thre script for the meds....

Otherwise, try Planned Parentood ... they are little more friendly about the meds.

Ok - so you just have to find a Dr who will let you go on the meds ... which means you may have to try a few to get them.

One other option. There are online Drs now who will do a quick consult and may do a script for you ... and given that the meds are not addictive they could do that for anti-virals. Dr Phil talks about one called Doctors On Demand. That may be an option too just to get the meds.