• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Are dry eyes a symptom of herpes?

Has anyone experienced ocular herpes? I've had severe dry eye feeling in my right eye for a month ever since I've contracted HSV. I've read about ocular herpes and how severe it is. But I find it hard to believe that the symptoms in my eye are not related. The dryness comes and goes and it was particularly painful when I had a cold sore. I also got a small stye on my eyelid.

Are you taking valtrex? Antiviras can dehydrate you and cause dry eyes. Make sure you are drinking enough water each day. I drink an entire gallon of water each day. It's amazing how many people are dehydrated. This can be the cause of a lot of health problems. Drink up, hope everything goes well.

@Cecibuendia How long have you had HSV? Have you been to an opthalmologist for your eyes? I went yesterday and the doctor told me it's allergies. Which I don't believe. I never had dry eyes before. I KNOW it is connected to me contracting HSV a month ago. How is your vision? Has there been any damage? How often do you get an outbreak and do your eyes always feel dry from the outbreak? The opthalmologist checked my cornea and there was no damage but that's not to say if it keeps recurring on my eyes that I will be fine.

@Aliveandwell No, I'm not on any antivirals currently. Aside from my first outbreak, I have not had another. I find it odd it's only in one eye - which is a major sign that it's viral. Allergies would mean both eyes are affected.

but that's not to say if it keeps recurring on my eyes that I will be fine.

*IF* it's associated with H then it should calm down after awhile... but believe me, if you had herpes IN the eye you would know it...because you would get blisters on the eyelids....

And one eye only doesn't mean it's viral ... I have recently started to get dry eye in one eye at night that is likely age related ... you could also have a sinus infection that is causing a blockage in the tear duct on that side. There are MANY reasons for dry eye ... and again, if it's related to H, odds are it's just that one of your lymph glands on that side is mildy affected and causing an imbalance on that side. If you are concerned there are eye drops that are specifically for helping to keep the eye moisturized... I'm using one now at night right before I go to bed... it certainly helps a bit :)

• 3 years later...

It's definitely Herpes! I have the same thing with every outbreak. No chance for coincidence here. Unfortunately I have damage which is floaters and flaring of lights in my vision but my visual acuity is still preserved. Worries me like hell every time I get. Follow with the ophthalmologist please 

• 3 months later...
On 7/25/2018 at 5:14 AM, benzgtx said:

It's definitely Herpes! I have the same thing with every outbreak. No chance for coincidence here. Unfortunately I have damage which is floaters and flaring of lights in my vision but my visual acuity is still preserved. Worries me like hell every time I get. Follow with the ophthalmologist please 

Did the opthalmologist tell you the flaring lights are caused by herpes?  If you don’t mind me asking how old are you? Mine said the lights are for a different reason.