• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

can hsv1 mutate to hsv2 ?

In about a million years maybe but not in you.

And having one type offers " some" protection from the other.

It seems H2 overs more protection from H1 than the other way. Makes since biologically since 2 is transmitted sexually and would be more likely to run into a vector containing 1.

Terry warren over at Westover has said she has never seen nor heard of a case of someone with an established case of H2 catching H1. Of course thats anecdotal at this point.

@JessikaRabbit

I've also read somewhere that once you have one type than the odds of you catching the other is slim to none,

This is a case of the need to be careful of your resources. Remember that 80% of people have HSV1 ... and a lot of US (I'm one of them) still got H2 ... yes, it gives *some* protection but I wouldn't use that as a way of "downplaying" things if you are with someone who has the one you don't have... I just tell people it's "added insurance" ... ;)

@enlight67

H1 and H2 are two different strains ... so there's no way one will "mutate" to become the other... ;)