• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Lips zipped about herpes

This is an awesome site! Thank you my dear! What I am reading here reminds me of the positive, not defined by herpes attitude I had when I was first diagnosed…I was a mere baby in my twenties…lol. I spoke of it freely, I educated and enlightened folks when I could, I did not ever hang my head, and I did not expect people to shun me (probably because I would not have shunned them…funny how we project). Then one day a friend pulled me aside and said I should stop running around telling people I have herpes…I should realize that it is embarrassing and gross and that nobody wants to know this information. I was stunned…I felt so foolish. I immediately zipped my lips and began to feel worse and worse about myself. Now at fifty-something…I’m a …well, a reserved extrovert whose lip is still zipped on the subject, and I still feel foolish…but now not because I have herpes and I dared to talk about it but because I realize I let this world steal my joy. I’m glad I found this site…thanks again!

I loved that you said when you were in your 20′s that you spoke of your herpes freely! … How refreshing… because really you were acting normal and not ashamed. If we all were able to talk so freely then it wouldn’t be such a big secret… meanwhile so many people have it and most people (in the U.S. anyway) are to afraid to talk about it because std/herpes = sexually promiscuous or slut or loose… meanwhile anyone can get it and herpes does not equal bad - it just means that we have a virus. Ahhh and yes … so good to have a sense of humor about it.

Yes, I love the genuineness in that, the freedom. Thank you for sharing, reservedextrovert and thanks for chiming in, Lori! You know what I wish for you, RE? I wish that you can access that genuine side again, that side that doesn't give a flip what other people think, and own your strength and freedom. I can hear your playfulness and zest for life in that post. And most importantly, that deep-down-body desire to reconnect with it! So here's to reconnecting. I can feel it comin' on ... ;)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: