• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Confused about dosing instructions for herpes medication

Planned Parenthood gave me an Rx for acyclovir for recurrent herpes outbreaks - 400 mg, one pill, three times a day for five days. That's pretty standard, and I usually see improvements within a day or two. I ran out of refills and asked my GYN to send one. She sent 400 mg, two pills, five times a day for ten days. This is standard dosing for shingles, not recurrent HSV-2 OBs, which the office did verify that I take it episodically for HSV-2. I'm not sure if it was a mistake on my GYN's part or if it was intentional so that either I feel less awkward filling the Rx (which I no longer care) or so that I can have more pills on hand while avoiding potential refill/insurance conflicts, etc. I plan on taking the one pill, three times a day for five days regimen since that works just fine, but has anyone else had these shingles-like dosing instructions or have any idea why my GYN would send such a heavy duty Rx?

@Danaaaaaasaur

The first time around was from PP. It also was a different GYN in the office who prescribed them (mine is only af that location one or two days a week). Either way, I guess it doesn't matter :P

@WCSDancer2010

I figured it may just be a difference of opinion as well. Either way, having the extra pills on hand makes me feel much better because going to the pharmacy on my school/work schedule is a hassle lol