• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Is Razor Burn Ever "Just" Razor Burn? (Diagnosed HSV-2)

Hi team!

So I've tried to do some research on this, but wanted to ask if anyone knows the science behind it... It's also kind of hard to research, because "razor burn or herpes" is a super popular google search.

(I'm diagnosed GHSV-2)

I understand the concept of asymptomatic shedding, and I'm beginning to recognize when something is "off" there. I know to wait 5-7 days after an outbreak.

But I have a question around razor burn or 'regular' chafing...if there even is such a thing...

I do shave 'down there', and prior to H I would break out with ingrown hairs/razor burn (nothing too bad, I've had laser so it's a bit thinner!). I'm getting the exact same reaction now - very clearly ingrown hairs (you can see 'em in there!). So, my question is - is razor burn ever "just" razor burn? Meaning, if I shave, and then I get razor burn NOT caused by an outbreak, is there a chance that I'm doing something like weakening the skin and causing the virus to stir?

Also, this irritation is super fleeting - I shaved yesterday, today the hair is regrowing so I itched for a little bit (like 30 minutes), then the bumps go down and all is clear, within the same day.

Is chafing, razor burn, etc EVER just that? Or does any injury down there (even if it's explained) automatically mean that it could be H, and therefore I need it to clear and then wait 5 days before I'm no longer contagious?

Thank you so much!

Here's my take:

Likely it is just razor burn ..

and

I always just err on the side of caution ... so in that case, I might abstain from sex while the area is irritated, but not necessarily for the full 5 days ... because any open skin is actually also an avenue for YOU to possibly get something ... and I just plain don't mind finding other ways to play during those times.

I would also see what other things you can do to reduce the irritation when you shave ... have you tried applying anything immediately after shaving that would be soothing and and reduce bacteria ... maybe Calendula Ointment or something like that??? I'd try to find something that helps the area to settle down faster...

Thank you so much ladies! This is just what I needed to know - I'll be careful with any irritation, but I agree it's just the razor burn.

OY soon I will know all my symptoms and not have to second guess everything. It really helps us newbies to be able to ask questions, we really appreciate it!!

Excellent suggestion in the razor burn cream - I will look into that!!