• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

What I've learned in 2 1/2 years of herpes infection (HSV2)

1. The initial outbreak can be very painful and debilitating. It gets better eventually.

2. The medical professionals who "treat" us are often extremely poorly informed and ill-suited to truly care for us.

3. The socio-psychological component to this infection can be devastating. Some days can be very dark. It passes.

4. Now I hardly ever have outbreaks and men (well at least the one man I've been with!) still want to have relationships with me, despite the risk.

5. Suppressives give me headaches. Fuck suppressives.

Thanks for the feedback about suppressives headaches going away @2Legit2Quit. Maybe I'll give it another try.

As it turns out I ran away from that relationship for other reasons so we were not together very long just one month.

I should really write a separate post about disclosing because I was so afraid and it went really well. We were talking about past relationships and lessons learned. I just told him that my ex had not disclosed and given me herpes, and that I didn't want the same to happen to him. At the time I was taking suppressives and told him the stats. He remarked that he may well have been exposed already (crazy post divorce sex life) and maybe he was immune. He also took the opportunity to share some of his "secrets".

• 2 weeks later...

I should really write a separate post about disclosing because I was so afraid and it went really well. We were talking about past relationships and lessons learned. I just told him that my ex had not disclosed and given me herpes, and that I didn't want the same to happen to him. At the time I was taking suppressives and told him the stats. He remarked that he may well have been exposed already (crazy post divorce sex life) and maybe he was immune. He also took the opportunity to share some of his "secrets".

The "Talk" often helps us to open the relationship to levels of vulnerability that either take much longer to establish, or may never establish at all. That's that "Wingman Effect" that I talk about .... because you get to see if the person can open up to you, and THAT is pretty damned sexy :)