• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

The difference people make between hsv1 and hsv2

Because HSV2 is on the genitals... and we live in a country that was founded by the Puritans.

Because it's not talked about.

Because there is no good education

Because people are judgement-making machines

Because we as a "community" have allowed ourselves to become "closeted" by the stigma

Thankfully there are more and more of us speaking up and speaking out and educating others. Hopefully this will change in the future. For yourself, you can choose to speak up and educate, or to remain quiet and keep this as a personal issue. Neither is "better" or "right" ... but in my experience and my opinion, we teach others how to treat us. I'm 100% out. When I came out, I made it really clear that I didn't give 2 shits if people "thought less" of me, because I know the facts and I know who I am, and I was coming out to enlighten and educate people and to be a support for those who are struggling with the virus. Not ONE person was ugly to me and I came out on FB to over 1000 people.

So - in many ways, we "the carriers" are just as much responsible (IMO) for the stigma ... I am sure that if we all stood up and said "We have a nuisance skin condition in a really inconvenient place .... and we are ok with that ... and BTW, odds are you have at least one of them too" the stigma would disappear over night.

As Brene Brown said "If you put shame in a petri dish it needs 3 things to grow exponentially - secrecy, silence, and judgement. If you put the same amount of shame into a petri dish and douse it with empathy, it can't survive."

Right now the stigma of H is in a dark, covered petri dish.... if we could all just be empathetic with OURSELVES, the stigma would die a very quick death :)

That's my opinion anyway :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...