• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Ladies and Cleansing - Be Careful with Tea Tree Oil!!

Hello Ladies and Gents...

I just wanted to pass along some advice that I'm now giving myself on the use of Tea Tree Oil and general cleansing "down there". We all know this is recommended to "dry up" sores (and is used for so many other things, including acne).

I had noticed once that when I used a diluted spray TTO that I got really red and irritated immediately after using it (both sides of my clitorus), but I thought that might be an outbreak that was timed to using the TTO - after all, I was using the spray because I had felt a little itch!

HOWEVER, I wanted to get "clean" today, so I used a bar soap from Trader Joe's containing Tea Tea Oil on my lady bits. TERRIBLE IDEA. The exact same burning, redness in the exact same locations, literally minutes after I had already checked myself and nothing was going on there. So I now know it's not an OB but rather a reaction to the TTO (possibly an allergy or even a mild chemical burn).

I'm now learning that you're not supposed to use *any* kind of soap down there (I just have been using a body wash), but especially TTO. I'm nearly 30 so I should know how to wash myself, but you learn something every day, right?

Just so you know, you should be using just warm water on your vulva, and can use a very mild soap on your outer labia (the place where hair grows). Soap can not only be irritating, but can throw off your pH and cause yeast infections and the like!

Thanks @2legit2quit I do love my epsom salt baths. I'm just kicking myself because I didn't (and haven't) had any symptoms for over a month now, and I just wanted to feel a little clean during my period. There was no reason for the TTO ughhhh.

The good news is, I'VE DISCOVERED NOT EVERYTHING IS HERPES. Yes I know that I am a little weakened down there so the virus might rear up (and ouch it hurts so ain't nothing sexy happening), but since this has happened twice, with the same ingredient, it's finally coming together that I can know the difference.

I know you're a big proponent of journaling, which I haven't done, but this is the proof of why tracking and remembering causes of things is so helpful!!

Yup, you will always feel unsure and lack confidence in your body, if you don't take time to journal. I don't anymore, but my symptoms are changing again after more time, so I may have to start again. WW that said, I feel like I know my body now, because I did journal for so long. It also, made me get over my paranoia of everything.

Some people are definitely more sensitive to soap than others and certainly ANY time you use an Essential Oil you need to dilute it with Fractionated Coconut oil or the like :)

A good "soap" for down below is this zinc and coconut oil soap - it's anti-viral but has the zinc and C.O. that is sooo soothing to the lady bits when they are aggravates :)

http://bit.ly/zincsoap Zinc Soap with coconut oil

• 7 months later...

This is so very helpful to know! As I use Teatree oil shampoo conditioner and body wash. I'm interested to know more about your journaling. As my symptoms have also changed in the last couple years and I feel like I may be causing my outbreaks but I'm not sure what I'm doing. Would you mind messaging me or sharing on my recent post more about how you keep tract? Thank You !

• 4 weeks later...