• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Risk with protected oral sex

I've read some conflicting information and want to reach a logical conclusion. I received protected oral sex and was concerned about acquiring an infection. The condom was in place the entire time and I don't recall there ever being a point where her mouth touched an unprotected area. There was no apparent signs of hsv on her mouth either. It seems low risk to me, however I did read some articles about infections being possible even with protection. I am hsv1 positive already, and have gotten plenty of cold sores on my mouth over the years. I've read that would make a new location for hsv1 highly unlikely. I have no symptoms as it was a recent encounter. Would this be considered a low risk encounter and not even warrant testing, let alone the endless anxiety thinking about it?

That's what I thought, and why I didn't blink at the fact when it was offered. However, with some guilt setting in after the fact, I've read that condoms only reduce the risk 30% which I thought sounded low. On the surface it seems like a silly fear I guess, but I'm still concerned that something could come of it. I guess I'm being irrational...

I'm anxious about it because I don't want to pass an infection on that I didnt know I had, and I'm going out of the country later this week and I don't think the country I'm going to would be the best place for medical attention should I do in fact need it. I tend to overthink, if that's not obvious enough here, and grew concerned when I looked up possible sti's from oral sex. But. I guess I should accept the fact that this was a low/no risk encounter and move on mentally...

You have oral herpes though right, not genital? You were worried about getting herpes, when using a condom w orak sex, so I'm wondering where this anxiety is really coming from. May I ask how old you are? Do you think it would be best to not get in a sexual relationship, unless the partner has been tested? Otherwise, it sounds like you're going to continue obsessing like this, over each encounter.