• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Zoster Genitallis

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV.

Herpes Zoster is Shingles. It occurs when the chicken pox virus reactivates. It is different from the Herpes Simplex virus which causes outbreaks on the lips and genitals. I suppose shingles can appear on the genitals but it not the same as HSV1 or HSV2.

Are you struggling a bit w acceptance and going through the denial phase you think maybe?

I'm suffering of intense neuropathy all over the body and I haven't experienced serious problems with sores (they were healed in one day).

I have a hope I have Herpes Zoster. Also because I didn't have sexual contact months before my first OB>

Well herpes zoster is ONLY unilateral, so you wouldn't experience it all over the body, if it was herpes zoster. It would be on one side and where the OB is . sometimes you can have pain in a location on one side of the body and an OB not appear, but zoster doesn't do both sides of the body during an OB.

Again, it's not common to have it on the genitals. Why have you not gone and gotten it swabbed? Nobody can diagnose you on the forum . I had severe neuropathy for four months after my primary, from the waist down.

As for when it broke out... Well... That's herpes for you. We just had a guy on here, who got it a yr n half ago and didn't have an OB until recently. It happens. Also, you could have had it, been asymptomatic this entire time and some stress, lack of sleep or whatever, could cause it to come out. Also, herpes zoster is pretty rare in young people.. That's more of a 60 and over issue. have you ever had chicken pox?

You have now waited too long to be swabbed, it needs to be swabbed w in 48hrs of having an OB. Herpes can cause aching all over the body, like you get flu like symptoms. You can go get blood done, but if you've ever had a cold sore before or even if you haven't, it won't tell you where the hsv 1 infection is, w out a swab. Ontop of that, you have to wait 3-4 months post possible infection for antibodies to show. There are people who break out immediately upon infection, others take two to three weeks and some a couple months, to years!! There is no definitive and black and white answer on how HSV behaves, because it all has to do w our life style/stressors and our immune response. Everyone's immune system is as unique as their thumbprint, which means not one person symptoms are going to be identical who have HSV. Thats why people dont realize their symptoms are herpes so frequently, because they expect it to fit the text book description they found in google, verbatim. Some people gwt sires and some dont. , don't wait like this next time and go have it swabbed so you can find out what's going on.

Can you give more detail on your symptoms and locations and the sensations? You don't have to have sores to have neuropathy w herpes either. I didn't have sores when I had neuropathy the following four months after my primary. There are others on here who get neuropathy as well, w no physical symptoms. MOST people are asymptomatic or symptoms that are atypical and rather mild, that they don't associate it w H. That's 80% of those w HSV that are unaware for those reasons.

Can you give more detail on your symptoms and locations and the sensations? You don't have to have sores to have neuropathy w herpes either. I didn't have sores when I had neuropathy the following four months after my primary. There are others on here who get neuropathy as well, w no physical symptoms. MOST people are asymptomatic or symptoms that are atypical and rather mild, that they don't associate it w H. That's 80% of those w HSV that are unaware for those reasons.

If you don't know German translate this article: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_Zoster

It can happen only in genital, it's rare, but possible.

Yes, I stated it was RARE in the genitals and then it's even rare as a young adult, so add those two rare situations together and it's even more rare. .

Why aren't you going to get tested? You cannot diagnose yourself and state what you think you have. I hoped I had Kancroid disease when I got herpes, even though it's rare, but learned it wasn't through a swab. That is the only way you can be certain of what it is, if it's HSV 1. If you're 3 months out since possible exposure, go get a type specific IgG Elissa test and you'll know the answer. Sometimes, it's hard to come to terms w things, but you'll always wonder if you don't get tested and also risk spreading it to others.

When are you going to get tested? How long since your last sexual contact w that person?

This likely sounds like HSV2 to me, but getting a blood test specifically for HSV1 and HSV2 will determine I you have it. We can speculate all day about what it could be or you could get tested and just find out. There is no shame if you have it, but it's important to educate yourself and prevent transmission to future partners.

So umm.... Why wouldn't you test for HSV 1 and 2, but only zoster? You do know that in a full STD panel that Herpes isn't included and you have to specifically request for it, or they don't test you? . You have to wait 3-4 months post exposure to build antibodies as well.

If you had herpes zoster last yr and know you have it, then testing for zoster again is a moot point by blood and it will come up positive.. In fact, if you ever had chicken pox, it will come up positive. You can only swab the sore, w in 24hrs to be able to tell if that's what it was; zoster or HSV 1 or 2. W out that, then you're doing to have to wait 3 months.

@2legit2quit

If @BrazilGuy is in Brazil, their testing protocol may be different. So saying the full STD panel doesn't include H may or may not be correct. Working with people from other countries can be challenging because their health care systems often approach STD's very differently than ours.

That said, @BrazilGuy - if you can get blood tested for HSV1 & 2 as well, I suggest that you do...the genital OB could have been HSV that was triggered by the Zoster OB that you had had... if it lowered your immune system, and you were carrying it asymptomatically, that's a distinct possibility.

One thing I am pretty sure of. If you had Zoster on your genitals, it wouldn't have flared one day and been gone. It generally sticks around for weeks or months and makes you pretty miserable.

One possibility is that if you had the Zoster flare and then it was followed by a HSV flare, your nervous system has been triggered in some way and may be reacting to that. Once nerves are aggravated, they can take awhile to settle down.

@2legit - I think he's a candidate for LDN treatment - he may have triggered some sort of autoimmune response. Can you direct him to some of your discussions about that so he can ask his Dr's about that too? Thanks

@wcsdancer2010 it's not, I've spoken to others from Brazil on another forum and one of my good friend's is from Brazil and I asked her.

Yeah, from what I read, zosters is a 3-5 week OB.

Here's the links to a drug that boosts and modulates your immune system. I have been on it just over a month and am having less obs on it w no Antivirals, than I was when on antivirals.