• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Spreading herpes on yourself.

My question is this. Am I correct in thinking that if someone has hsv 1 on the genitals, does this mean they can not get it on their mouth as well? And how do you spread it in yourself if you already have the virus on the genitals? Can you get it on your lips if you accidentally touch your genitals than touch your lip? This is all so damn confusing.

If you touch an active outbreak then touch your lips or mouth or genitals or eyes then yes you can have it in there as well. However, virus dies shortly after it leaves the body. Also, I think there is a greater risk in the first few months of infection. So things to do:

- wash your hands with soap and water if you touch an active outbreak. Water and soap kills the virus immediately.

- keep the OB areas clean and dry (less oozing)

Dont worry about this too much. When you are not having an OB, the chance of carrying the virus to different parts of your body is small (dont rub your eyes even when you are not having an OB). This question is asked before many many times. You can search it.

I think it is called autoinnoculation. Well one time I was having an cold sore and picking it nonstop. I ended up with a cold sore in my chin. But I have cold sores many many times and now I dont touch them, they stay at the exact same place. It is a tiny thing to keep in mind but as long as you wash your hands after you touch an OB it is nothing to worry abt.

The highest risk is in the first 3-6 months .. and mostly if you touch the OB and then touch the lips or whatever.... standard common sense hygiene should keep you from self innoculating ... after the 3-6 month period you have antibodies that give you pretty decent protection from passing it to another area, but I wouldn't test it by picking an open sore then touching another area without hand washing... just to be safe in case your immune system is compromised at the time... but if you accidentally touch both areas, don't panic. Odds are you have kissed people with HSV1 oral many, MANY times and not got it there ... :)