• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

If you stop anti viral will it bring on OB?

Does anyone have experience with stopping anti viral without a sudden onset of ob? I'm thinking of stopping for a bit to see if these constant prodrome like symptoms (tingling in glutes, back of thighs and vulva pain with absolutely no sign of anything) actually being caused by valtrex. Since I've been on it, I've been feeling almost constant prodrome and I never had prodrome prior to taking it. I've always read about tingling being a prodrome. Valtrex is the only constant med I've been taking. I've had H over 30 yrs and never experienced this. I started hrt supositories exactly the same day as valtrex. Stopped the hrt and continued the valtrex. I've never read about any negative side effects of valtrex except thirst.

It's been about 3 months now. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Sort of feeling like I'm constantly contagious and my husband is H-. I just had a piriformis steroid injection today as all this could be from strained or inflammation of piriformis. Just grasping at straws.

@janedoe I know and I wonder why years ago I went on acyclovir and had no problems. Of course, this may not even be the H bothering me.. .just has me a bit nervous as my husband is H- and I'm afraid I'm contagious with all this tingling going on since April. As I mentioned, I've had H for over 30 yrs and never had this issue

@Janedoe do you think this means we are contagious or is this fake prodrome? @2Legit2Quit I know you have posed similar questions. Did you ever find an answer? Anyone with a H- negative partner with these constant prodrome sysmtoms passing H on?? This is driving me crazy as hubby is virus free

I discussed this leg pain with my doctor at PP. She said it is most likely nerve damage. She was quite suprised when I said I had this tingling and twitches everyday. She wanted to prescribe famvir but I didnt want to... I dont think this is prodromes, when virus wakes up I get headaches, as if someone is pressing down in the back of my head.

I have a theory abt this. I think 2 Legit mentioned in a post that antivirals works like a signaling mechanism. So, when we take antivirals, maybe our immune system becomes so good at finding the virus in the nerves even though we arent shedding. As immune cells attack the virus, some nerve cells start sending mixed signals and hence the pain.

@Katidid I want to stop taking the meds but last time I tried, I started itching all over... my doctor told me take the meds for a year since it's a recent infection then if I want to I can stop. I know how you feel.... this tingling is making me depressed, it's a constant reminder that I have this... please keep me posted.

Right now, I'm sitting and putting pressure on my right side (original ob site) and it hurts... but my second ob was on the left side.

Well, that does make sence. I'm a bit reluctant to switch as I have not had an ob at all since being on valtrex ( I normally had 5 or 6 per yr). I've been on it 5 months. As I mentioned, I've had this a very, very long time and never anything like this. I never even had prodrome.....It would just show up. Gyno has called it in already so I may give it a go just to see if this tingling will go away. Having said that, I just had a piriformis block yesterday. I weight train quite heavy and have had some glute/vulva pain as well as pain while sitting which follows the sciatic nerve. It's a very deep, dull pain which can be several things which all mimic H. This tingling started at the very onset of hrt which I started the same day as valtrex. I stopped the hrt. Valtrex is the only constant since tingling began.

@Katidid I think 2 other people in the forum mentioned this problem too. I was thinking I was showing atypical symptoms and virus was active all time and I can never be sexual with someone again. But your post and other people coupled with my doctor's comments convinced me that this is nerve damage or sth.

I just can't think all of a sudden I am constantly contagious.....I've not passed this to my husband of 20 yrs ( we both confirmed our status via blood tests recently). I don't want to risk giving it to him even though he has fully accepted the risk. He has cancer and that's enough of a burden.

Also, I think h was damaged my sciatic nerve, not the other way around. 5 years ago, I injured myself and had problems but it calmed down 3 years ago. Ever since I got h, I get problems in my sciatic nerve as if I lift sth heavy. I go to the gym but I dont lift weights.

I think you are correct. I will keep you posted as to what I decide to do. This block may actually take care if things. I plan to pick up the acyclovir and if this block does not fix my problem. I will likely switch. I wonder how long it will take to notice a difference?

Idk, 3 months? I took me abt 2 and a half months to stop getting headaches as a side effect when I was on acyclovir. I started my second prescription of valtrex. I'll continue taking it for another month and if things dont change , I'll switch to acyclovir too.

@janedoe so I started straight on acyclovir yesterday morning and I swear my tingling this morn is almost gone. I don't know if it's because my piriformis injection has finally kicked in as well or combination of both.....will keep you posted. There may very well be just enough difference between valtex and acyclovir to upset my system. I've read numerous posts in other forums where people on valtrex seem to have almost constant tingling. Fingers crossed!!!