• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Normal??? So many questions...

So...I have herpes. I think? That’s the first time I’ve “said” that besides to my husband.

Waiting on swab results, but my GYN said she’s sure and gave me acyclovir already. It’s Friday night and I started it on Wednesday...acyclovir 800mg 4 times a day. Should I be getting better by now?

I’m still having horrible pain when my urine touches the lesions and I’m extremely itchy tonight. Also, a new fun and exciting symptom popped up today...(eye roll)...I now have thick, opaque, yellow, snotty vaginal discharge. Attractive, right? Is that just part of my new life now?

I’m trying my best to have a sense of humor about all this crap. I’m a nurse and I always tell me patients that sometimes you just have to laugh to keep from crying and going crazy. It’s working so far!

I have no clue how/why/when this happened...I’m in my late 20s, but honestly my sexual history is pretty boring. I get really bad canker sores in my mouth when I’m extremely stressed...that’s happened since I was a teenager before I was sexually active. I had a couple of mouth canker sores in the last few weeks and then this week all these “down there” symtoms popped up. I thought it was a yeast infection plus irritation/small tear after sex last weekend. Then the sores came up like look like the same ones in my mouth when I get them. No oral sex though, so I’m so confused.

Bodies are weird sometimes.

From what I understand, canker sores are unrelated.

It's only been a couple of days since you started medication, and probably a week or less since your symptoms first showed up. Everyone has it different, but I have ghsv-1 and it took a few weeks for my symptoms to clear and the sores to heal fully.

Keep focusing on the future, and know that you will heal from this. I would also recommend staying on medication for a few months, as I recently developed a second out break after a couple of months of recovering from my first.

From what I understand, canker sores are unrelated.

It's only been a couple of days since you started medication, and probably a week or less since your symptoms first showed up. Everyone has it different, but I have ghsv-1 and it took a few weeks for my symptoms to clear and the sores to heal fully.

Keep focusing on the future, and know that you will heal from this. I would also recommend staying on medication for a few months, as I recently developed a second out break after a couple of months of recovering from my first.

Thanks for the response! That’s what I thought too, but I honestly have no other clue how I could have gotten herpes. My GYN seemed to think what I get in my mouth might not be canker sores? Who knows?!

My doctor said she could prescribe a daily dose of the acyclovir if I have 3-4 OB a year, but I think I would rather just go ahead and take it daily just because.

You certainly could take the medicine daily, as long as your doctor doesn't think it will harm you or conflict with other meds.

I find that the medicine doubles as an effective helping hand to my immune system, as well as a kind of security blanket for me emotionally.

As far as your canker sores, they might actually be the herpes virus, as it is not impossible.

Sorry to read that you're having to struggle with symptoms and uncertainty. Many of us here know what that is like. I'm sure you have probably read some of the threads here, you may find there are other people going through / have gone through similar circumstances.

If you want to be able to talk to someone individually, and haven't already, feel free to post in the "herpes buddies" thread. I got a lot of really great support from people there, even being able to talk about some non-herpes stuff really helped me in a difficult time.

I feel about 90% normal today. This past week has been rough!!!!

My GYN just called and the swabs were positive for HSV1. I asked her to please send in acyclovir so I can start taking it daily. I just wish I knew what to expect as far as how often my OBs will happen. I hate the uncertainty of it all.

I had the same symptoms. I just wrapped up my first outbreak. I've been in a monogamous relationship for 15 years. My husband nor myself have ever had any signs of oral or genital HSV so my what/why/how thrusted me into a heap of confusion. After asking my husband if he cheated (he didn't) I learned, thanks to Google, that one of two scenarios is to blame. The first being that I've been packing this virus asymptomatically for 15 years (I've had one other brief partner before my husband) or my husband is an asymptomatic carrier (he's had more partners than me) and I'm just now catching it after all these years. After getting a negative IgG result in the absence of a false negative my assumption is the latter of the two scenarios. My husband has yet to be tested, that might clear up the what/why/how but we also kinda don't care since it doesn't change anything for us.

I totally understand your concern about when it will happen again. I too am watching the clock. However, I have chosen not to take antivirals so i can get familiar with how this is going to play out in my body. The first outbreak was way more psychologically difficult than physically difficult so I'm letting my body see what it can do. Many people have one outbreak and never again or all subsequent outbreaks are mild and hardly noticable. So we'll see.