• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes on lower legs. HELP NEEDED!

Hello everyone,

I’ve been diagnosed with HSV-1 for almost a year now. I have had outbreaks once every 2 months I think. And they were all just as severe and felt as bad as the first one. Is this normal for the first year I have herpes? However, I’m currently having an outbreak with cold sores and blisters on lower right leg for the first time ever. I have attached an image of my leg for visual reference. Does that look like herpes to you guys? Or could it be sth else entirely? Thanks in advance for the support!

7B9DC552-2E85-493C-BDD0-3F3ACC5BC415.jpeg

Hey @RedGun93 and thanks for reaching out. Visual inspection will only go so far. That could easily be poison ivy, too. Unlikely that it's herpes since herpes prefers either the genitals or mouth area, but it's possible it is. Go to your local clinic and let them know you need to be seen ASAP since you would like to get a rash cultured to make sure it's not herpes. They should bump you up to see you earlier since you're presenting with a symptom. Good luck and let us know what you find out! 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Hi @RedGun93 I came on this site to ask a similar thing and coincidence first post I come across is what I want to ask here! I have a red bump which looks like a large red insect bite which is super itchy, kind of burning and inside lower leg over past two days. I will see if more come up like yours too? How long did they take to blister? Were they bite looking to start? I think I am coming on a usual every 3 month OB of HSV1 today so now nervous if it is a new area I have passed it too and infectious I've already itched it and potentially passed it to other areas of my body not realising. So frustrating that every itch, bump and tingle makes me paranoid now. I am so careful and fearful about spreading it to anywhere on my body that I fear itll make my anxiety worse if it does turn out to be that 😟 Ive been on Aciclovir and Lysine tabs for 6 months. Feels like I am getting worse with OBs.

@RedGun93 Yep, should take about 7-10 days to heal up.

@BlondeEB That's a common worry that you'll spread herpes all over your body, but luckily it's actually pretty rare to auto-inoculate. As your body builds more and more defenses against herpes in the form of antibodies, there's less and less of an opportunity to create new sites of infection. But like I suggested to RG, head on over to your clinic and get it swabbed so you can know definitively whether it is or isn't. Paranoia thrives in the gray area of not-knowing. But the more you get educated and also directly tested, then you'll know the facts and can lessen the worry/paranoia. 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

@RedGun93 Hello.. Sorry about what you're going through. Are your lesions itchy at all? Or is it painful?

I have Hsv1 for a year and a half now and my outbreaks are just getting worse with new involvement every time I have one. I know it's hsv1 not 2 but it can well involve the nerves of your spine unfortunately. Please let me know. 

10 minutes ago, benzgtx said:

@RedGun93 Hello.. Sorry about what you're going through. Are your lesions itchy at all? Or is it painful?

I have Hsv1 for a year and a half now and my outbreaks are just getting worse with new involvement every time I have one. I know it's hsv1 not 2 but it can well involve the nerves of your spine unfortunately. Please let me know. 

hi @benzgtx it's a little bit itchy and painful, but not too much, sorry about your situation as well, a lot of people say after a year your body should cope better with the virus but looks like it's not the case for you and me

@RedGun93@RedGun93 Poison ivy tend to be more aggressive in symptoms and also lesions with particularly significant itching. Did you have any other symptoms during the time you developed these lesions? How long since you first noticed them? Did they all pop up at the same time?

I patiently waited for that one year and I wish if things were recurrent but not progressive! I don't want to scare you but I had involvement in my eyes, ears, peripheral nerves and more recently brain for which I have an evaluation next week. I haven't had a regular healthy week for more than 6 months now. I am healthy otherwise and immunocompetent. 

Sorry to hear that @benzgtx  😞 Hope your evaluation goes well. Stay strong and things will work out.

I have other symptoms like tiredness, burning sensation, lower abdominal pain, etc. you know symptoms that I have had for previous OBs. They pretty much popped up at the same time and I noticed them once they started to become itchy.

@RedGun93 Could very well be herpetic lesions. Especially given the other symptoms you've experienced. 

Thank you. I have nothing but hope. All of my issues happened while being on medications which is frustrating and frightening as it seems like there's nothing that can be done to stop it. 

Hang in there.